Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH 3rd Generation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH 3rd Generation

my son is 2 years4 months old .at the age of 1 we consulted a doctor because he always put his tongue out.he prescribed for a blood test, TFT  andT 3 total and freeT4  are normal  in the result , the thyroid stimulating hormone 3 rd generation is 0.99.he told that nothing to worry but the  reference range is 1.36   -6.5 .is anything to worry ?kindly  advise

Thanks in Advance.
You would worry if the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) was elivated (high in normal range or above the range). TSH is a pitutary signal released  in the blood to alert the thyroid gland  that more thyroid hormone is needed in the body. Growth and cognitive development is dependent in babies on the proper amount of thyroid hormone. Do you have the levels and ranges of the other test taken (the actual thyroid levels)? If you post these we will be glad to take a look. My daughter was born without a thyroid gland. She began thyroid hormone replacement medication at 3 weeks of age. She is 10 and perfectly normal in every way.
Thank You for your valuable reply. thyroid function test (TFT)
T3 (TOTAL) (ECLIA)   RESULT   1.19      REFERENCE RANGE 0.846 -2.02
FREE T4 (ECLIA)result   1.32       REF RANGE  0.932 -1.71
Thyroid stimulating hormone 3rd generation result0 .99   ref range    1.36 -6.5
I don't see anything alarming here with the free t4 and the total t3. I wish the doctor would have taken the freet3 instead of the total though. The bottom range for TSH in adults is .03. Your babies TSH is almost 1. Reference ranges are slightly different for babies however. Is your baby having any other issues besides sticking out his tongue?