TSH and SENSITIVE TSH TESTS? question
O.K.    what the heck some docs do a sensitive tsh test and sone just do tsh???  everytime a sensitive is done on me it is half of what the tsh results are!!!!!!!  wht are the results so dang different?  last time my sensitive was 2.42 and tsh 4.75. I like the normal tsh test that seems to be the best inicator of where i am and need to be!
All TSH tests are now the same. The "sensitive" or "3rd Generation" are just the newest tests. The old versions haven't been offered in a while- like years.
Each lab has their own reference range, though.
I think your TSH fkuctuates and that may be a sign of "mild" thyroid trouble.
Request thyroid antibodies and always test close to the same time of day for accuracy and reprodicability.
Anything over a TSH of 2 and positive thyroid antibodies is likely abnornal. My endo says this is so.
Here is a great reference to explain it all:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/90/9/5483

Thyroid function test should be done early in the morning with no thyroxine replacement taken until after the blood test.
The TSH can fluctuate during the day but is at its highest first thing in the morning (around 8am).
If you take thyroxin medications before the blood tes, it will give a false reading.
Thanks for adding that!

Yes,, taking thyroxine before testing will increase the free t4 by 20% for several hours due to the immediate release of the t4 from the pill.
interesting thank you! I hope its just my pg hormones causing this flucuation so often! my baby is 8 mo this week, I feel horrible .. cant wait to get it to a normal range!

I had been taking levothyroxine for the past 2 ys and justy started actual synthroid.. and I feel like it does not seem to work as well or s  strong? is this just all in my mind.???

anyone else notice a  difference between the two meds?