Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH and T4 levels and symptoms of hypertyrodism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am 27 years old and for the past 2 years I have suffered from Fatigue, anxiety, irritability, hair loss, shaky weak legs, irregular menstraul periods, on again off again insomnia.  two months ago My doctor tested my TSH level which was a .43 he refused to do another test, so I went to a new doctor who ran a test for my t4 level and tsh level my t4 is normal as it is 8.5 and my tsh level .99 which the lab told me is low but normal so I am confused... both doctors have done a complete blood work up on me and the only things showing up that are questionable is my TSH level and having low vitiman d which I am taking supplements for.  I am VERY confused and believe I have hypertyroidism.  my great grandmother and aunt both had the opposite and had hypothyroidis so it confuses me even more!!! any take on this would be grately appreciate. thank you ahead of time.
Please post the range on your FT4.  Ranges vary lab to lab, so you have to post renge with result  Did they test FT3?.  

Have you ever had any thyroid antibody tests?
Also, does the test say it's FREE T4 (FT4)?
They only teste free t4 and tsh my tsh has always been low to low normal for the past two years my t4 was 8.5 and tsh was 0.99 2 months ago my tsh was 0.43 it keeps going all over the place yet staying low 0.99 is the highest i've seen it!!
No my doctor hasn't tested my t3 yet, I am really confused with all of this all I know is hyperthyroidism runs in my family and I have these symptoms and I don't understand what's going on or if anyone else has gone through this!
TSH varying from 0.43 to 0.99 isn't unusualy.  TSH is volatile, and that kind of change could be just from circadian rhythm.  

Your T4 was free, and it was 8.5.  Please provide the reference range.  It looks like it would be very low in most of the ranges I've seen, but ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

If your FT4 is low, as I suspect, you are not hyperthyroid.
Thanks for your help The refernce range is 4.5 -12.5 for t4 so I'm right in the middle
I'm also on klonapin and have been for 3 years I am wondering if this is now causing adverse effects?  Weight loss, insomnia, irritablity, fatigue etc. I just am confused with it all I am only 27 and this is just to much for me I need answers ya know I don't know what to ask my doctor!!
As you point out, your FT4 level is right in the middle of the range.  Currently recommended reference range according to AACE for TSH is 0.3-3.0, so both your results are in range.  Your thyroid looks good.  Your are, however, missing the free T3 test.  It might be worthwhile to repeat FT4 and TSH and add FT3 before moving on.  This might be especially important if klonopin affects conversion of T4 to T3.  

I don't know a lot about klonopin, except that I see a lot of side effects when I google it.

Have you asked your doctor if the klonopin could be causing these symptoms?