Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH and pituatary gland

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH and pituatary gland

I had my thryroid tested about four weeks ago during some routine blood work my nuerologist ordered.   My TSH level was 3.31, which he felt was elevated and needed to be further checked my primary dr, my gyno.  I called my gyno. to find out my TSH level back in August and it was 3.76 then.  Also, I recently had an MRI of my brain and it did mention this about my pituartary gland :  small areas of low signal pituatary gland as described.(the post-contrast coronal sequence shows some small areas of low-sognal within the pituitary glad and I feel this is likely all volume averaging if there are no clinical findings of pituitary microadenoma...this is what the MRI report said).  So, does this mean my pituartary gland has something going on with it to cause my TSH levels to be elevated?  I am going to start medicine today for hypothryoidism, I assume.  Can anyone share their experience with this and what to expect from the medicine, and what symptoms you've had with the hypothyroidism?

Thanks : )
-7 Comments Post a Comment
My doctor thought my eyes looked a little bugged out during a routine examination, so he tested my TSH and it came back low in 2 out of 3 tests, and borderline normal once. He then tested my T3 and T4 and they are normal. Now he wants to do more thyroid tests and an MRI. I think it's too many tests when I'm not even sick. I'd welcome comments and ideas. Could I be seriously ill when I'm feeling fine?
HI
I just want to comment that no patient with Hypo has the same as another as far as symptoms or test results.  It is a condition with VERY individual characteristics.  If you have a doc willing to test and look into it, I'd say do it.  Most of us struggle to find a doc who will listen to us becuase we know we're sick but they keep saying "your levels are normal".  The word "normal" should be removed and illegal to use when it comes to reading t3, t4 adn tsh tests.  If you can find a doc who will treat based on symptoms and not be concerned with test results, you've got a good doc.  It could be you have symptoms you think are normal or you're just on the verge of thyroid issues.  Or maybe it's a fluke and your eyes just seemed to be bulging.  But at least do the tests.  And read Stop The Thyroid Madness by Janie Blowthorpe if you need any further info.  It's the Hypothyroid bible.
Good Luck!