Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH at the low end of normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH at the low end of normal

My lab work came back with my TSH level at .35 (my clinic shows normal as .32 - 5.0). I am concerned because my depression seems to be worsening and I have a fair amount of fatigue, not to mention a 42 lb weight gain over the past 2 years.Is there any type of treatment that can boost my levels and possbily give a little relief from my symptoms (especially the weight gain). I am at the maximum doseage of my anti-depressant already and am looking for other things that I may be able to do in order to get my life back on track.
TSH testing alone is inadequate to evaluate thyroid function.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many variables.  It really should only be used as an indicator of thyroid function, along with the more important indicators which are symptoms and levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, FT3 and FT4.  

If I were in your shoes, I would return to the doctor and insist that they test for free T3 and free T4 (note that this is not the same as total T3 and total T4).  If FT3 and FT4 results are in the upper half of their range, then that would suggest that thyroid is not a major contributor.  If FT3 and FT4 results are in the lower half of their ranges, then that suggests the possible benefit from a therapeutic trial of thyroid meds, to raise the levels of FT3 and FT4 and evaluate effects on your symptoms. With your low TSH, if the FT3 and FT4 results are low in their ranges, then this would also suggest testing for pituitary function.

If you want to do some reading on this subject area, here is a good link.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html