Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH elevated due to Niacin?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

TSH elevated due to Niacin?

Hi, I had a blood draw in April of 2009 and all of my numbers were perfect accept for my cholesterol was a little high. I was told from friends that Niacin helps as well as fish oil. So, over the past 8 mths I took 500 mg a day of Niacin and fish oil and my new blood draw came up with a perfect score in the cholesterol area but my Bilirubin total was elevated at 1.4, Iron UIBC low at 102, Iron serum high at 175 as well as Iron Saturation at 63, and my biggest concern was my TSH high at 5.08. I do not have any symptoms at all and was not concerned about it until this popped up. I just received the second blood draw for a possible job in Antarctica. We have to pass a extreme physical in order to go.

Oh, and not sure if this would affect the numbers, I got my period the next day after the blood draw.  Or is it the Niacin affecting the results??

Thanks for any help on this.