TSH elevated due to Niacin?
Hi, I had a blood draw in April of 2009 and all of my numbers were perfect accept for my cholesterol was a little high. I was told from friends that Niacin helps as well as fish oil. So, over the past 8 mths I took 500 mg a day of Niacin and fish oil and my new blood draw came up with a perfect score in the cholesterol area but my Bilirubin total was elevated at 1.4, Iron UIBC low at 102, Iron serum high at 175 as well as Iron Saturation at 63, and my biggest concern was my TSH high at 5.08. I do not have any symptoms at all and was not concerned about it until this popped up. I just received the second blood draw for a possible job in Antarctica. We have to pass a extreme physical in order to go.

Oh, and not sure if this would affect the numbers, I got my period the next day after the blood draw.  Or is it the Niacin affecting the results??

Thanks for any help on this.
Sounds like it is time for a more detailed workup. You need to have a Free T4 and Free T3 test done with the TSH. Hypothyroidism can affect many areas of the body. It might even be a good idea to ask to have the antibody testing done for Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease.
I have never heard of niacin affecting the body in a bad way especially pertaining to the liver and thyroid.
Thanks, Niacin actually can damage the liver but the thyroid thing is a concern. Thanks for the response.