TSH fluctuations without medication or diagnosis
Hey
I have a family history of thyroid disorders - father with a goiter, sister with half removed, and another sister with thyroid cancer.  I have had my thyroid tested throughout this past year. TSH results are as follows:
June of 2011 - 2.4
September of 2011 - 3.6
September of 2012 - 1.9

Is it common for TSH levels to fluctuate? Does anyone know what causes that?  Also, my symptoms are indicative of hypothyroid so my dr. put me on .025 synthroid. Is this common? Anyone is the same boat?

Beth
TSH can vary as much as 70% in a day, just depending on the time of day the blood was drawn.  That's why it's such a poor indicator of thyroid status.

Your doctor should also be testing the actual thyroid hormones, FREE T3 and FREE T4 every time you have blood work.  FT3 and FT4 are much more important than TSH.  Keep in mind that FT4 often has to be around midrange and FT3 upper half to upper third of range before hypo symptoms are relieved.  Just being in the bottom of the ranges is seldom enough.

Some doctors will prescribe a small trial dose to see if it helps with symptoms.    
Your doctor may have already told you to go back in 6 to 8 weeks for more testing. As goolarra mention the FT3 and FT4 are the important test.