TSH levels and surgery
I visited my medical physician for a referral or pre-surgery visit for upcoming rotator cuff surgery. My TSH level was 60 and my physician refused to sign approval for surgery. I have been on varying levels of Synthroid for 30 years, I am currently taking 0.2 MG. I have two questions? Am I being undertreated? What options do I have for medications that may bring those levels down? Lastly, I am considering going on with my surgery due to the fact my levels have been in the 50 or higher for years? What are the true dangers of surgery. My EKG was normal. Blood pressure was normal. I work two jobs and no symptoms I am aware of?  Please advise
TSH is a pituitary hormone and is affected by many variables; however, with no other thyroid test data, I can understand the physician's concern.  Have you had any other thyroid tests done?  I think it would be important to be tested for free T3 and free T4 (not total T3 and total T4).  With these additional test results, the doctor could determine if you are truly that hypothyroid, or if there is some other problem.  Didn't the doctor give you some direction as to what you should do to resolve the concern?