Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH levels that change daily

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH levels that change daily

My TSH leves change on each blood test. I am currently on .88 synthroid (Hoshimotos) and have not been feeling well for months. Fatigue, feeling faint, headache and total body aches and pains.DR does not want to increase synthroid nor change to Natural Thyroid.
I  went to the ER for severe lightheadnes/feeling of going to faint)  and was admitted to the hospital diabetes... here is what they found.

Day 1 TSH 4.28    Glucose 200 (1 hr after dinner)  (I was told by ER DR, I have diabetes and was admitted to hospital.  

Day 2 TSH 10.08  Glucose 99 (fasting)  Glucose Tolerance Test done and results was normal. I was now told I did not have diabetes.

I was released (even thought I had 2 episodes of feeling lightheaded) and told to see a Neuroligist.

Can you tell me about "changing" TSH/Glucose levels?
Thank you,
Donna
I don't have diabetes. I'm not sure about glucose, but from what I've read, TSH changes often with Hashi.

My endo doesn't place as much value on the TSH as he does on the FT3/FT4 levels because the frees show directly what the thyroid is doing, and the TSH is a pituitary hormone. He mainly treats the frees and my symptoms.

Sounds like you need a good endo who will listen and help you to feel better.

So far, I don't have diabetes, but I've cut back on refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, no gluten, no soy in any form, no fried foods. This diet has also dropped my cholesterol.

Here's where I found my new endo. It is a state-by-state list of recommended thyroid docs:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

:) Tamra
I was never told that the TSH can change so radically with Hashimoto's. My DR. (who I did find on the thyroid-info website many years ago but...I see now he was removed)
only treats me per bloodtests and dismisses all of my symptoms lately. So, even though I really liked him for years, I made an appt for a 2nd opinion.
I have been following a diabetic diet for so many years since my parents both had Type II Diabetes. I also follow a very strict anti-cholesterol diet BUT>>>my levels are still very high. And I can't tolerate any of the statins as it casue all of my muscles to ache.It seems that when my TSH is lower, my cholesterol levels come down.
You mentioned no SOY...I have been drinkig soy milk and taking Remifemin (soy product) for 3 yrs. to control my severe hot flashes since my hysterctomy. Maybe that is the culprit to all of my problems ???
Did the first TSH test was one hour after dinner also ??
you should fast for at least 10 hours before the test and drink much water !

feel well ,
High TSH and high blood sugars are not related........although Type II diabetes is not uncommon.  

TSH is a pituitary hormone and can fluctuate greatly during the course of a day; that's why it's not a good indicator of thyroid issues and should not be used as the sole basis for diagnosing and/or adjusting med.  Unfortunately, too many doctors still rely on it to determine whether or not one has thyroid issues.

Please be aware that having your thyroid levels off, can greatly affect your cholesterol levels.  My cholesterol was way high at diagnosis of hypo, but after a few months on med, it came back down to normal.  I also have had a hysterectomy and suffered severe hot flashes/night sweats for about 12 yrs -- they have diminished greatly since my thyroid levels have come into a better range.

Were you on the 88 mcg synthroid when you were in the hosptial?  Did they run any other tests besides TSH?  Like Free T3 and Free T4?  Those are the main thyroid hormones and those levels should be looked at and taken into consideration first, with TSH being the secondary consideration.  

It's excellent that you are following a diabetic diet. Not eating refined sugar, white flour products, etc is good, because those things will raise your blood sugar much more quickly than whole grain, etc.  

Soy products should be avoided because they inhibit the absorption of the thyroid med -- OR if you are going to continue with them, you may need to have your synthroid raised to compensate.  It's also good to avoid raw cabbage, broccoli and some other foods because they also inhibit absorption of the med.  

If you can get a FT3 and FT4 test done, and post the results here, that would be great -- as that would help members be able to comment more fully.  

By the way -- your TSH levels were both too high -- the new reference range is 0.3-3.0; however some labs and doctors refuse to get on the right page.  Depending on FT3 and FT4 results, you may need an increase in your thyroid med.
Here's why many thyroid people avoid soy:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

My endo said that women who are menopause or post-menopause should not consume soy at all. I forgot why. Sorry.

Do a search on an older post in this forum
"To soy or not to soy"

You will find many member comments about soy.
:) Tamra