Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH of 6

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH of 6

I tested with a TSH of 6 and was given Synthroid 25 mg by my doc. I'd like to hear if anyone else had a similar TSH, what their symptoms were and how the meds worked. I ask because of the confusion of what "high" TSH really is. It makes me doubt that my joint pain and tiredness is due to thyroid.
Sorry, I thought the answer was clear that I believe you to be hypothyroid, based on the TSH result and the two symptoms you mentioned.  If you look at this link that lists signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism, you'll see both symptoms, and perhaps others that you have not yet fully recognized.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm

In view of the above, that is why I suggested you could confirm with further tests for the thyroid antibodies of Hashi's.  Also, I think you should be tested for Free T3 and Free T4 (not Total T3 and T4), and also Vitamin D, B12, and ferritin.
TSH is short for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, it is produced by the Pituitary Gland in the brain, When your thyroid hormone T4/T3 is low, the Pituitary senses it and sends the TSH to the Thyroid to stimulate it to produce more thyroid hormone, when your thyroid hormone is high, the TSH is low. A better test for thyroid issues is the Free T3 and Free T4 lab tests. FTB4
At the time I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditus an auto-immune disease, My TSH 12.5, many here have gone much higher.  FTB4
One other thing to supplement FTB4's info.  Since the most common cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, you can further confirm the diagnosis by testing for the thyroid antibodies associated with Hashi's.  The specific tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  
Ok, so no one answered though. Is 6 tsh high enough to be real hypothyroidism?

Ah ok, thank you. I will ask him to test for that when I go back to see him in 5 weeks. I am also on effexor for depression and it has sexual side effects. But now I am thinking maybe that could partly be hypothyroidism. Also my cholesterol is 290, God. Anyways, thank you very much for all your answers.
As Gimel said, you can check that web-site you will find that Depression and anxiety are both symptoms of Hypothyroid also. FTB4
Why wait  5 weeks?  If you can get all those tests done now, then you will have results in hand to discuss with him at the appointment.  It is a lot more effective to have results and discuss face-to-face, than get test results after the appointment and then only be able to discuss over the phone with nurse.  Of course, with test results in advance, members can also discuss with you and get you fully prepped for appointment.