Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH over 100 ?!?!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH over 100 ?!?!?

Has anyone on here had a TSH of over 100?  Mine came back as over 150 which is extremely high with Free T4 level of .20 which is low--thus I guess I have hypothyroidism, which would explain why I've felt so terrible for weeks/months now...to the point of barely being able to drive to work without falling asleep, etc.  

Just wondering if others on here had TSH levels over 100 before and what did they do to combat the fatigue until they were able to see an endocrinologist (one that I called didn't have an opening until December--two months away!!!).  

I had ultrasound at hospital done today and they said they would send results to my Primary care dr. who would call me re: results.

My mom had thyroid cancer when she was in her 40's and I am almost 31 years old, just had a baby 5 months ago, and thought I was just so overly exhausted over the baby, going back to work, etc.  Luckily my OB/GYN noticed my thyroid glands felt really swollen when I was telling her how tired I have been, to the point of crying and wondering what was going on, why couldn't I handle motherhood, why am I so exhausted all the time, gaining weight even though i am eating less, breastfeeding, exercising when i have a little energy, etc.

I'd like to hear other's stories with such elevated TSH levels...what caused such high levels for you?  how did you deal with the fatigue until you could see a dr., etc.?  what ended up being your treatment, medication, etc.?
I had a TSH of 120 from not taking my meds for 20 years and I crashed harm. You need to get to the Doctor and get started on replacement meds. You will not get better, you will really get more tired and probaly pretty dizzy at times. Need to get started back on somthing.
Ga7--so your TSH levels hit 120 after not taking your meds, for how long?  did you not take your meds for like days or weeks?  

I've never been on meds before for anything and the only reason my dr. had me take the TSH blood test was because she thought my thyroid glands felt swollen and i was complaining about how tired I was, etc.  Everyone chalked it up to "oh, you are a new mother, of course you'll feel really tired..it gets better, etc..." so I am lucky this dr. took me more seriously and had the blood test done.  But now I'm just trying to figure out what that blood test result of TSH level over 150 means.  She did say they had never seen such high levels in anyone at their practice before so to go see an endicronologiest ASAP.  How do you get an appt with an endocrinologist quickly though?  I've been calling around to several in my insurance plan and they all don't have appts. until a month or two from now.  I think that's CRAZY!!! I can't go on feeling the way I do for that long!  I mean, I almost fell asleep driving to work!  I get dizzy already which scares me when it happens when sometimes when carrying my 5 month old baby girl!  I guess I feel lost and am not sure how to get an appt. sooner.  I called my primary care dr. about how I couldn't get an appt. with an endocrin. sooner and they haven't returned my calls.  ugh!

obviously since this is all new to me and haven't even been able to see an endocrinologist yet, i don't have any meds to "go back on".

any suggestions out there?
Call your PCP (again) and tell him/her you want them to get you an appointment with an Endo that treats thyroid patients, not diabetics, within three days, or drugs to tide you over. Tell them your TSH is over 150. Your doctor can call an Endo and make an emergency referral/plea for an appointment now.

Your doctor can perscribe thyroid hormones, too.

Did your OB/GYN send a copy of the bloodwork to your PCP? Call and call and call (politely) till you get some meds and an appointment that is NOT two months away. Be a squeeky wheel.

I've done it more than once. It works. Do not put up with being put off.
My TSH was 120.0 at one time. Long story, no happy ending yet.

Many posters here have been there for a short time, often as part of therapy. It is not healthy, and until you are on meds, it will climb higher.

Synthroid will start dropping it right away. The sooner, the better.

Best of luck to you.
My ob/gyn said they would send the results to my PCP, but i don't know for sure if they have or not.  I think I might just suck it up and make an appt. with my PCP for same day so I can meet face to face with my PCP and say PLEASE do something NOW and get me to see an endocrin. ASAP.  It's already  been TWO weeks since this lab result and I just keep feeling worse and worse each day.
Thank you for your responses so far.
I had my thyroids totaly removed in 1983, nothing left,ultrasound showed nothing. I took my meds the first couple of weeks after that and felt awful. So I started taking it once a week. and feelt alot better. Sometimes I would go a month without taking it. I did this for 20+ years and then it hit me about eight months ago,when I was feeling a little dizzy all the time. I never had my TSH tested during this 20+ time frame for I hate doing drugs, So they tested my TSH and it was 118,so I was taking every day again, and after three days I really crashed, I think I stired the pot by changing what my body got used to. I really dont like taking Aleive, or any over the counter meds. So since I have been taking my Brand Synthroid now for eight months every day my level is now normal, but I have felt bad every since I have been back on it.
I was diagnosed with thyroid surgery in May, 2004 (when my youngest son was 5 months old) and was informed the first of June, 2004 that it was cancer.  I took a round of RAI and placed in isolation from the middle of June to the end of July and was eventually able to return to work in August, 2004.  I see my endo every 6 months.  I am cancer free and was doing well.  For the past couple of months I started feeling very tired, achy muscles, leg cramps, nervous, and just felt bad.  Kept telling myself it is because I am 43 years old and have a son who is almost 4 (plus work full time as a paralegal and have returned to college full time).  Anyway I went to my doctor for my annual physical on Fri. Oct 12.  Yesterday my doctor called and stated that my TSH level was 125.8.  He was very concerned.  He immediately called my endo and informed him of the situtation.  My endo's nurse called me this morn at 7 a.m.  and they too were concerned.  She spoke with the endo and called me back a little after 9 a.m. she stated that my endo said I must not be taking my medicine correctly.  I was very hurt by this statement due to the fact that I faithfully take my 2 pills of .112 thyroid medication every evening.  To make this story short we have discovered when I had my prescription transferred from 1 pharmacy chain to another pharmacy chain the first chain did not tell the latter chain that my endo writes my script for brand name only.  Anyway I was taking a generic brand of thyroid med.  Found out this morn that generic brand does not work as well as brand name for cancer patients and even the cancer can recur (according to my endo).  I contacted both chains and they too said generic thyroid meds should not be taken.  When I questioned the 1st chain as to why the latter was not told that my script stated no substitiution they of course had no answer.  Anyway my endo stated the danger of a 125 level could be a heart attack, coma or even my cancer resurfacing.  SO PLEASE IF YOUR DOCTOR PRESCRIBES THYROID MED PLEASE TAKE IT.  I am now scared that my cancer will come back.  
Hey I am 25yrs old, my TSH is 120, but still i am losing weight.. i am just 43Kgs, dnt know what is the reason, very worried about my health, i always feel sleepy and tired.. Please someone tell me will i have any problems regarding preganacy (pregnancy)
My TSH is over 150 and my doctor didn't even have the decency to talk to me about it after my blood work came back from the lab.  He had a nurse call me.  What an ***!  She also informed me my cholesterol level is over 400 (shouldn't be over 200) and my triglycerides are 400 (shouldn't be over 150).  I been sick for roughly 6 months now so I was in the perfect mood to give them all a little idea of what I thought of their professionalism.....in person.  I've never weighed over 105 until now (outside of pregnancy) and I'm up to 135 so far.  Everything hurts and I have every symptom appropriately possible, it seems.  Today I started my medications so I'm really excited at the idea of feeling a little bit better day by day (even month by month looks good if it takes that long!)
You'll probably need to go back for followup testing in 6 weeks or so to see the effect of the medication on your thyroid levels.  When you do, insist that they also check for the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, FT3 and FT4.  The  "Frees", as we refer to them, are most important test for determining your status and for adjusting meds to relieve your symptoms.  These are not the same tests as total T3 and total T4.  You need the "Frees" so that the doctor is not trying to adjust your meds based on TSH alone.

You might get some useful info from this link.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
I am 30 years old, my tsh reading was 100 before 8 months. I used to feel very tired, sleepy, over weight and dull and easily got exhausted while playing football and my muscles used to ache after each playing sessions, and also was difficult to overcome injuries.

I consulted a doctor with my test results and he recommended to take the medecine called thyronorm 50 mg. i have been having this medecine for the last 8 months and some regular exercises(sarvangasana is a good option). Now when i checked my tsh, it has fallen to 6.67( still not normal). But i feel better now. Have reduced five kgs of weight also.
Mine got up to 173 ( two months post thyroidrctomy due to cancer) and that was two weeks and before my RAI treatment. I now have cardio problems because of the quack doctor. Got a second opinion and new meds.....feeling better. Only time will tell if my heart problems reverse. New doc told me the other day I was lucky not to go into a coma or death. He estimated my tsh was probably 250ish when I had my RAI.
advise?
Wow, I was just reading these older posts about high TSH and I really scares me that it can get that high. Mine went to 6.0 about three months ago and I felt absolutely horrible. My ears were ringing so loud and dizziness, well you know all the hypo symptoms. I still am having trouble and feeling not so good but symptoms arent as bad all the time. I just am making a statement that I cant imagine how these people felt with a TSH above 100.
Hope everyone is feeling better.
Doctors routinely have their nurses call patients to report lab results and schedule follow ups.  It is not nice for you to accuse them of indecency.  You would have the right to be upset if they did NOT order the lab work and didn't request follow up. Hopefully you are getting the treatment you need and stop pointing blame where it isn't warranted.
Hi all,
I had TSH level 453.2 the first time and over 500 the second time. Doctors and  my biology teachers were astounded looking at the fact i don't feel any symptoms. I dont know what to conclude, my teacher says i probably have a mutation. My dad has thyroid; probably genetic. But According to my prof, i should not be alive. Now i am on medication.

PS: I am 20 male.  
My daughter is 15.  She was diagnosed two years ago with Hypothyroidism.  Unfortunately, making her take the medicine has been a battle.  If my memory serves me correctly, her TSH levels when first diagnosed was around 120.  We were told that they highest should not be more than 4.  They told her that they needed her to level out on her medication before they could run the tests to figure out what may be causing it.  So we have been struggling for two years but she has been taking her medicine for the most part.  However, she goes through spurts of not taking her medicine for sometimes a month at a time.  I can't shove them down her throat, so I just have to fight with her on it.  Well, along with Hypothyroidism, she was also diagnosed with extreme depression and bi-polar disorder.  I have had a sinking feeling since this whole thing started that if she would just take her medicine, we may find that these mental diseases would level out.  Well, now we have another major issue.  Well, a couple to be exact.  My daughter and I just found out she is pregnant.  I know, before you guys start harping on me about my 15 year old being pregnant, I already know, and there is nothing you can tell me that would make me feel any worse.  On top of that, they also have discovered that her level is now at a 450.  Her doctor actually told her that she should be a fat pig who can't walk or talk.  He is completely baffled by her. She is skinny, and shows no signs of slipping into a coma.  He has referred us to a endo.  And we have our first appointment tomorrow.  Yesterday,when we found out her levels (they checked twice) we got a phone call after we got home for her to come in immediately for an ultra sound on her thyroids.  We don't have the results back yet, but they have also made an emergency appointment in another city as none is available here until Tuesday.  My fear, I have read that it can harm the baby.  My fear, that there is something terribly wrong with my daughter.  My fear, they tell her she will have to abort, and I loose her all together as she is such a fragile girl.  
I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I think all your fears are totally warranted.  Yes, it can harm the baby or even cause miscarriage. Yes, with a TSH of 450, there IS something terribly wrong with your daughter.  And, finally, and most hopefully, yes, if she would just take her meds, there's a good chance her mental issues would resolve.  

Not everyone reacts the same to thyroid hormone imbalance.  Some of us gain weight, hypo or hyper, some of us lose weight with either.

Your daughter's FT3 and FT4 levels should be tested immediately to make sure they support her very high TSH level.  If those levels are low, she needs to be on meds.  If they aren't, then a pituitary issue could be indicated.  

This is a very old thread.  You;d get more attention to your individual concerns if you started a new thread of your own.  That way, you could get your concerns in the headline, wherre people could see your specific issues.  Just go to the top of this page and click on the orange "Poasta Question" button.  

Good luck to you both.
Just wondered how you are feeling now? My son is 19 and has a tsh of 120 but feels great when his level gets below 30 he feels horrible.
We have been to lots of Endo's since he was 12. Feels great when not on medicine and feels horrible when levels get low. Any ideas????  
This is a very old thread and I don't think Deprosun has been on the forum since the post above. You might get more attention to your son's issue if you start a new thread, rather than attaching to one this old.

In order to start a new thread, click on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page.  You will then get a blank form in which to type your questions/comments.  Then click the green "Post a Comment" button at the bottom of the page.

If you post a new thread, it would be helpful if you'd include any thyroid test results for your son, along with reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and must come from his own report.  He should be getting tested for Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH.
hi..i got hyperthyroid in the age of 22 and my doctor advised me to take Radio active therapy to cure it.I had the therapy and he advised also some med PTU kind of things. After taking medicines, my eyes become normal size and I got cured..By continuing the same med, led me to leg pain, nerves pains etc. once again he changed the med and led me to hair loss but no pains. he has given me thyronorm 100mg. Last month I have taken thyroid test and now my TSH level is 98 where t3 and t4 level is normal. Now i feel iritation, leg pain and lack of attention. In next 4 months, my marriage is fixed. Now tell me will it affect in case if i get pregnent..
Your TSH is very high, and although "normal", I'll bet your FT3 and FT4 are very low in the range.  Please post actual results with reference ranges.  You also have hypo symptoms.

You want to have your meds properly adjusted and FT3 and FT4 levels well into the ranges before you conceive.  It's very important since in the early stages of pregnancy, your baby will be depending on you for thyroid hormones until his own thyroid develops.  Lack of thyroid hormones can cause developmental problems, including slow development after birth.

During your pregnancy, you should be very carefully monitored to make sure that the demands of pregnancy haven't changed your levels.
I got my tsh checked recently and it came out to be 238. The doctor told me that he has never seen such a high tsh result. One month back it was 10 only. That time I was taking 50 mcg thyronorm that I stopped and after month my tsh is 238. The doctor has asked me to resume the medicine and I have started with 100mcg now.

Was the cause for your hypothyroidism determined?  Why did you stop taking the thyroid med?   What symptoms were you having after stopping the med?

When you go in for thyroid tests, you should always insist on Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  Since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, you should test those as well.
I'm sorry to be nosy but my 18 year old son was also just found to have super high TSH levels above 150. There are so few facts on this issue for young men and I'm curious whether your high levels have been alleviated and whether they ever discovered the cause.  Their seems to be just a few young men out there with these ultra high numbers and I'm trying to figure out any trends or findings.  - My son had no other symptoms but he was tested because of because of clinical depression and sleep issues.  It's been crazy trying to figure out what is wrong and this is the first definitive red flag that's come up.  Curious how you are doing.
Not sure if you will get through to Deprosun or not, since this is a very old thread.  So I just wanted to make sure you got a reply.  

TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many things, that at best it is only an indicator of thyroid status.   Far better indicators are symptoms, of which you listed a few, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  So I urge you to get your son tested for Free T3 and Free T4, which are not the same as Total T3 and T4, so make sure the right tests are done.  

Also, since the most common cause of high TSH and hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, it would also be a good idea to test for the antibodies associated with Hashi's.  Those tests are Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin antibodies, usually listed as TPO ab and TG ab.  

If you can get those done and get a copy of the lab report, then please post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  
I would like to know if you figured out what was wrong with your son as well. I am a 23 y/o male and my TSH levels have consistently been over 150 (the highest most labs will go). Feelings consistent with most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, however no swollen glands whatsoever.
Please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess your status.  Also, are you taking thyroid med?  If so, what daily dosage?
AM A MEN
MY TSH VALUE IS 100
I AM TAKING MEDICINE 100MG
SINCE 3 MONTHS
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO GUIDE
Please post any other thyroid test results you have and include reference ("normal") ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.  When were these labs?

Which thyroid medicine do you take?  Do you take it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and then wait half to one hour before eating or drinking anything?

How do you feel?  Do you have many symptoms?

My TSH level was 6.87, I felt tired, exhuasted.. I was taking 75 MCG of Synthroid. They cut me down to 50 MCG. But my liver was at 50, supposed to be at 15, or vice versa, so I figured 50 MCG wasn't gonna be enough of a drop for my liver to get better, seeing how I don't get drunk, very rarely have a drink or two.. it was because of too high of dosage of my thyroid pills. So I cut my pills in half, taking 25 MCG, for about 2 months. I got tested, now everything is normal except my thyroid, it's at 150.00 now. :/ Oops. But weird thing is, I feel great. I'm not tired, I have the perfect amount of energy.. I know it's a bad level & it's serious but why do I feel this good? I am more thirsty, but it's not overbearing or anything. If anybody would like to respond to me, jusdem.***@**** I'm not sure if I'll be notifyed if I get a response on this. But anybody with an explanation, I'd like one!!
My TSH level was 6.87, I felt tired, exhuasted.. I was taking 75 MCG of Synthroid. They cut me down to 50 MCG. But my liver was at 50, supposed to be at 15, or vice versa, so I figured 50 MCG wasn't gonna be enough of a drop for my liver to get better, seeing how I don't get drunk, very rarely have a drink or two.. it was because of too high of dosage of my thyroid pills. So I cut my pills in half, taking 25 MCG, for about 2 months. I got tested, now everything is normal except my thyroid, it's at 150.00 now. :/ Oops. But weird thing is, I feel great. I'm not tired, I have the perfect amount of energy.. I know it's a bad level & it's serious but why do I feel this good? I am more thirsty, but it's not overbearing or anything. Anybody with an explanation, I'd like one!!
My TSH level was 6.87, with taking 75 MCG of synthroid. I was tired & exhuasted. Suggested to drop down to 50 MCG, but also my liver was messed up so I thought I should cut my dosage down to 25 MCG. After 2 months of that, now my TSH is 150.00. I know it's serious & bad. But honestly I feel good. Perfect amount of energy, I jus feel like a weights been lifted off me. I don't get it. I am more thirsty I think, but that's it.
I stopped taking synthroid after 10 years.  I started using dried Kelp from the local asian market.  Sometimes in soup, or I use a coffee grinder and powder it to sprinkle on different foods.  It's changed my life and all my symptoms have gone away.  My body, hair, nails, skin, everything started growing back naturally.  It's so wonderful having a normal life again; over 25 bad symptoms now under control.  Kelp is extremely inexpensive and the best thing I've ever used for hypothyroidism.  I'm synthroid-free and symptom-free for almost a decade now. best wishes.
Interesting.  What was the cause for the original diagnosis of hypothyroidism?  Was it Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, or other?  What symptoms were you having before stopping the Synthroid?  What were your typical thyroid related test results and ranges before stopping the Synthroid?   Same question for current test results.
I am 29 year old male and i recently went for a general health check up and found out my TSH level is at 110 while the recommended level is some where between 0.4 - 4.5.

The doctor asked me a series of questions like If i am feeling depressed or weak or if i have constipation and also checked if i look bulky!.

I have none of the symptoms which anyone posted above and i feel totally healthy and fine.. Nobody in my family has a history of Thyroid diseases.

But sure enough after seeing my results, a bit concerned now.. I have a follow up Ultrasound test in a couple of weeks..

Even though TSH is a poor diagnostic for thyroid issues, with a TSH level that high it warrants further testing.  I would suggest that you test for Free T3 and Free T4 (not Total T3 and T4), to determine if you have low- in- the- range levels, which usually lead to hypo symptoms later.  Since high TSH levels are frequently associated with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, you should also test for Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies and Thyroglobulin antibodies.   You need both tests to check for Hashi's.

When you have further test results, please post, along with reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.