Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH reading was 12?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH reading was 12?

Good morning/Afternoon/Evening where you are located! I am 21, and a real fitness fanatic, recently went to doctors as I had been feeling tired than usual (before I put it down to the fact that sometimes I can work out too much), however Had full blood count - came back with TFT (Thyroid function test) a little out of sorts.
Doc, explained to me that my TSH level was 12 -What is the normal value/range (I realise diff labs have diff readings,

What I would like to know more about is well: As I exercise quite a bit , I would like to know if of course this will be affecting my Metabolism? and by how much, do these TSH levels rise, by how much and even in 6 weeks time?, If I go to gym is this decreasing levels of Thyroxine? - Will I contributing to Hypothyroidism? , This is a mild case correct? I am not on medication at present, Another BLOOD TEST IN 6 WEEKS.

Would like to know if i eat carbohydrates throughtout the day then is this being stored as fat etc, I do not want to be putting on weight, I am traning for half marathons etc. Body Fat % is currently 14.7- and I have worked so hard, maybe I have ruined my body..!!!!!

Current menstrual cycle is lighter, but sometimes they are, is there a link between oestrogen - could the TSH levels just be slightly high because of my period? - (I am trying to make myself feel better)

Can I continue to exercise and maintain my current body fat % - I cannot afford to be putting weight on/ - no medical history in family, no conditions myself/medications i am taken. Rather out of the blue- realise it is very common.

Thank You Very much,

Je

hi,

with TSH of 12 you are hypothyroid.  Normal level should be 1 - 2, although the reference range is something like 0.5 - 3.5.

You need thyroid meds.  You also need to be tested for FT3 and FT4, which should also be used to adjust your meds.

Thyroid levels are not affected by exercise, by menstruation, etc.  With medication however, your period should get more regular and you should feel much better doing the exercise and have better exercise endurance. Also should help in maintaining normal weight.
Be prepared to gain weight (no matter how hard you try to lose it) if your TSH isnt brought down by a T4 medication.
You are Hypo by the TSH but what are your other levels? FT3 and FT4?
Also ask to be tested for antibodies because you may have hashmotos and as its an Autoimmune Disease, it cannot be cure but can be controlled.
Research all you can on Hypothyroidism.
All the best :)