Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH test came back slightly elevated/next steps?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I recently got the results to a a TSH test (performed as routine general care). It came back at 4.53 (normal according to lab is 0.44 - 4.37). My doctor says it's slightly elevated. According to articles i've read, it has been recommended to change the top range of normal to be 3. I have cold-intolerance, low body temperature (usually 96.5 - 97.5), long menstrual periods on a short cycle (lasts for 7 days, 24-26 day cycles). My family history is what concerns me. My paternal grandmother had thyroid problems (not sure if it was hypo or hyper), my maternal aunt had surgery on her thyroid when she was in high school (again, not sure why), and my cousin, age 33 just had her thyroid removed after a bout with thyroid cancer.

What should my next steps be? Should i just re-test TSH in 2 months, or does my family history warrant more extensive tests sooner?
Yes the scale is more narrow now. I would go back to the doctor and tell him this. I think some doctors are unaware of this.  It depends on the lab you use also.  Some still use the old scale which is 0.5-5.0.  The new range is 0.3-3.0.  It has been changed because of so many undiagnosed thyroid problems.  I would explain to him the family history (which is a biggie), along with ALL your symptoms (if you haven't already), and ask him for a prescription.  If he doesn't go along with this, ask him for a trial dose of Synthroid (.25mg), to see how you do.  If you notice you need to pull teeth with this doctor, find a new one, preferably an endocrinogist.  Good luck,
Karly
When my TSH was like yours it was classed as borderline high meaning subclinical hypothyroidism, and I had all your symptoms, but some doctors won't treat it at that level until it gets higher. I personally can't get treatment yet anyway coz mine keeps swinging from high to low. But I also have the same strong family history as you. So, I agree you should go back and ask for more tests, there's more they can check like your antibodies etc. Fight hard to get results or they don't hear you.
Thank you to all who responded to my earlier post. I did go back to the dr. (for a sinus infection) but also spoke to her about my concern about the thyroid. She said that b/c I seem healthy otherwise, all my other labs (unrelated to thyroid) came back great, and that I was probably dealing with the sinus infection at the time of the TSH test she believed that the elevated level was caused by transient stressors. She did feel my thyroid and said that she felt no nodules or inflammation. Basically, she still only wants to re-test in 2 months, although she did say if symptoms worsened or i noticed any inflammation or bumps that i should call back immediately. She said the endocrinologists in her practice tell her and other PCPs to not really worry unless the TSH is over 10!!! I know if I do go to an endocrinologist it won't be there. I'm still debating about whether to seek further assistance or continue to wait to see what the next TSH test shows.
Last year, my blood test showed TSH of 6.20 and this happened after I had a MRI and started taking various medication for High Blood pressure, High cholesterol and high acid in my stomach. My doctor prescribe 0.25 mg syntroid and I just got sick. After further investigation, I found out that TSH test alone is not enough. I would suggest you ask for additional tests like Free T-3 and Free T-4 to find out if you are hypothyroid.
In my situation, due to my MRI, I was given an Iodine for contrast, Too much stress and sudden consuption of drugs may have affected my TSH. It has been 6 months since I stop taking any thyroid medication and my bood test are perfect for TSH, Free T3 and Free T-4.
Take Care,
Rick