Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH

I went to my DR. with following complaints....Fatigue, Forgetfullness, heavy periods, 20 pound weight gain, moodyness....Blood work was done my TSH came back 4.219. All other blood work was fine. DR. Even told me TSH was fine nothing found wrong. I said I dont feel good refer me to someone else then. I was refered to Thyroid DR. Before I see him he requested Thyroid Antiboti test done for Hashimoto. I was told today by my DR. that this test came back high at a 9. I do not have paperwork this was told to me over phone. I called Thyroid Dr. office have appoinment next week. What does the 9 mean? I assume this test was for Hashimoto since nurse told me this was what Blood work would be for. Does this mean I have this?
Thank you  CJ
No!

9 to me  is low.

Thyroid levels are the prevailing diagnose for treatment and autoimmune (Hashi), and antibodies just confirm what levels already relate.
Hashi Antibodies with normal levels relates that you are not active Hashi yet, but might become active Hashi in the future via levels.
Antibodies are not curable nor treatable - there is nothing that can be done about them. Antibody  are present in  people with other thyroid diseases, other autoimmune disorders such as Sjögren syndrome, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis,  pernicious anemia and in people who show no evidence of disease.

The thyroid doctor will probably do more test.
Repeat the TSH in 2-3 months. If still in upper end of range ask if you can try meds. 4.219 may not be normal for you if in the past your TSH was lower. It is not normal to vary by more than 0.75.
Are you sure they said 9 was high? That # is in normal range. Over 34 is positive.
.
Some people who have Hashi's are antibody negative (about 10% I think I read)
Good luck at the Thyroid dr. appt.
They'll straighten it out for you.
My regular Doctor told me I was high. When I called the Thyroid Doctor they said I was high. Obviously I do not have the results infront of me  Th results were gave to me over the telephone yesterday. My regular Dr. office said we do not know what it means we just know your high and faxed it to Thyroid Drs. Office. I am not sure what numbers were high. I will know more Tuesday. I am seeing a endo that is a specilist in Thyroid. He wont even take you as a patient unless you have blood work that shows you have a thyroid problem.
I know the last blood work I had was for Hashimoto and that is what they are saying came back high.
Thank you CJ
40 to 1200 or more, is high.  So if you don't have numbers, you don't know, even your doctors office doesn't even know. Your endo. will clear it all up.
My numbers were over 900 and she significally higher on other test. I have to go for more blood work.
It does not matter how high the antibodies are , just that they ARE elevated. With the so called borderline TSH and pos. antibodies, you probably have Hashi's.You have typical symptoms, too. What other bloodwork are you having done?
I have to have the TSH and t3 and t4 run again. It has been 6 weeks since the origional TSH was done. 2 weeks since they checked for the antiboties.  I think she said she will start me on 50 mg synthroid??
Sounds right. The doc on the Expert forum said 50 mcg is a starting dose. I started at 25 just to go slow, but am now up to 50. Glad you are getting treatment.
I read your level of "9" as being the antibody level, which is low.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

It does matter if antibodies are high or low, along with levels distinguishes between Graves' or Hashi.  The same antibodies can be seen in both Hashi and Graves'. So high or low antibodies, along with corresponding thyroid levels relates the autoimmune condition.

Sorry about the confusion.
If antibodies are elevated(positive) the number, whether is is 100 or 1000 doesn't matter.  It is the presence of the antibodies that determines that the disease is autoimmune, be it Hashi or Graves.
Currently, there is no treatment capable of stopping the autoimmune process leading to Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
Presence of these antibodies is not enough for a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, since a certain percent of women in the population have these antibodies.
Johns Hopkins Autoimmune Disease Research Center

Thyroid antibodies may remain positive for years, and do not provide an indication of whether the person has normal or abnormal thyroid function. Furthermore, some patients with Hashimoto's disease may have negative levels of circulating antibodies, and conversely, patients with positive levels of thyroid antibodies may never develop thyroid disease during their lifetime. mythyroid

Still, antibody presence or absence does not change the diagnosis of subclinical hypothyroidism (which is based on serum TSH measurements) or the expected efficacy of treatment.
US Government Guidlines
Does your doctor say you have Hashi's based on the elevated TSH and positive antibodies? That's all you need to know right now and it is treatable with medication, and will hopefully resolve your symptoms.
Sorry about all of the above- if you are still not clear on this, maybe you can call doctor to explain it better.
Feel better soon!
You can message me for any links.
I am assuming that they are going to treat me for Hashimoto. Why would they put me on meds. They are saying they are going to put me on 50 mg Sythroid. I am having symptoms of Hypo related to Hoshimoto? I just want to feel normal again. My biggest complaint is the fatigue. The Docor did tell me doesnt matter what level antibodies were that I had a significant high level, numbers in this area dot matter?. What is Graves?
The Synthroid will replace the thyroid hormone that you are low on. Hypothyroidism is low thyroid function. The TSH is high because  your pituitary gland is telling the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone, if it can. TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.
The doctor obviously thinks ( amd I 'm sure you do too) that your symptoms are related to hypothyroidism. Glad he told you that your thyroid antibodies are significant level and that the actual #, if positive, dosen't matter.
Graves is the opposite in terms of TSH. There is too much thyroid hormone, which decreases the TSH level.
50 mcg is a usual starting dose if the TSH isn't too high or some other health issue isn't limiting the starting dose.
Grave's disease is a thyroid disease that makes a person hyperthyroid, the oposite of what you have.

They are going to give you meds because that is how you treat hypothyroidism, which is where you are slowly going.

The antibody test number is significant for diagnosing the disease, but there is  no treatment for the antibodies. Hashimoto's is not cured. It is managed by giving you replacement hormones.
At least this can be managed. I understand not curried, but I hope to feel better soon. Thank you all for the support and information. I have a great DR. and I think I have caught this early. They did do an ultra sound and that came back ok. I will know tomorrow or next day the results of blood work from today. I am curious if they are different from TSH that was done 6 weeks ago. Also they are checking rheumatoid  and ANA i think because 25 years ago I was diagnoised with Lupus. I had symptoms then for about a year. I have had no symptoms or medication for 25 years. I am not sure I have it or not. I will follow that up as soon as i am stable with this other stuff.  DR. thought would be a good idea to test for it again.
Thanks Again
CJ