Thyroid Disorders Community
Taking Armour thyroid at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Taking Armour thyroid at night

I just found this forum and was amazed at all the information here! Some of you are so well-versed in this! I have just changed to a new DR...my 4th in as many years. He is a specialist in hormonal therapy. I have problems with all 3 hormones (estrogen, progesterone and testosterone). I am so low I am not even on the low end of the charts! I also have adrenal and thyroid deficiencies. So, I am taking meds for all 3! I have been on the meds for 2 weeks.

Like you all, I was to take the thyroid med in the AM...empty stomach, etc. However, it makes me nauseous. Couple with low blood sugar issues...like some of you...I have to eat smaller amounts of food more often...even during the night! So, the DR said I could take the med with food. However, I STILL get nauseous AND tired! I start feeling good about 10 PM!

Now, my cortisol levels are backwards, as well. They are higher at night and lower during the day. For those of you who don't know, cortisol is produced by the adrenal gland and is part of what makes people perky during the day.

So, I start feeling good when I need to go to sleep! I called and asked the DR if I could take the thyroid med at night. He said no. I don't see him until Wednesday so I guess I will spend 5 more days feeling horrible. I am hoping I can take it at night so that I wake up feeling good!

ARGHHHHHHHHH!

Anyone have anything similar????

Thanks!
Hmm sounds very familiar.  

I have hashimotos and adreanal issues.  And hormone problems...

I am the same way I start to feel good when the sun goes down.  I know they say not to take thyroid at night because the T3 could keep you awake and mess with sleep cycles.  But that being said I would be very interested to know if it could work for people like us that feel better at night then daytime.

I am on hydrocortizone and naturethroid.

Are you treating your adreanal problem?
At one stage I took my thyroxine at night but found that by 3pm the next day, it had worn off and I was extrememly tired.
To my knowledge, you CAN take yr  med at night.
Maybe the Doc said no because of the high cortisol level but cortisol is also raised when under extreme stress.
I am not to sure on taking the natural hormone at night...maybe Stella can answer this for you.
i have been taking my levo at night for a long time    not t3 though
THNAK you for your comments to my letter about taking Armour Thor at night. I actually found a small studies' result of taking levo at night. By small, I mean only 12 test subjects. But the results were that EVERY ONE of them absorbed more of the med when taken at bedtime! I am going to take a copy of that article with me to the DR on Weds. As for messing with my sleep cycle: it is so messed up now I can't imagine it being worse! :) I went to sleep last night at 1AM. Woke up at 9 and slept for 3 hours today!

I was on hydrocortizone for 2 weeks. I will find out Weds if he wants to refill that or if that is all I am to take.

But Forever, it makes me feel so much better that there is someone out there who has the same issue that I do. Not that I am glad you do...but at least I am not alone!

I will keep checking back here and I WILL write to let you know what the DR says next week. Until then, Happy Birthday USA!!!!!!

Robbie
  I read somewhere too where it is fine to take the T3 replacement at evening before bed - just not the T4 such as Cytomel.  

Trying to find a dr for daughter that has hashimoto's and pcos and I do believe problems with her adrenals.  But who?  
Cytomel is actually the T3
Doing a search across the net and finding that many split their dose into two (and sometimes three) times a day. This is so their T3 stays more consistent throughout the day.
You might use Crystallized Ginger for nausea -- or any ginger that you can tolerate. Building your Magnesium stores should also help.
I would also like to know if I can take it at night. I get tired of running everything through my dr. I jave no thyroid at all due to a veryblarge goiter and having graves disease. I know when I wake up in the morning, I am completely out of it. I cant even muster the energy to go take my meds or sit up in bed. My daughter come in my room to get me up and it usually late by then. Thats even with going to bed around 9-10. And all my energy hits late in the evening and I force myself to go to sleep taking melatonin for the difficult nights. If I could just wake up in the morning. I currently take armour thyroid 2 grains and im thinking about taking it at night so by the morning I my levels will be where they need to be.....I hope.
You are more likely to get the energy you need by getting to the right dosage to raise your Free T3 and free T4 levels adequately to relieve hypo symptoms.  If you will please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges as shown on the lab report, members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.