Thyroid Disorders Community
Taking Your Thyroid Meds, What's The Best Way?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Questions about taking your thyroid meds—just started Levo on Wednesday...I know you should take it first thing in the AM on an empty stomach to increase the absorbtion. Which I do. I wake up at 5:30am everyday to feed my dog so I take my pill and go back to sleep for about an hour so that make sure I take it on an empty stomach and gives me an hr. plus before I would eat any sort of breakfast. Is that enough time in between taking the pill and eating?

My second part of the question is as far as multi-vitamins and any sort of other supplements go...do you think it's wise to wait 'til closer to dinner time for these or is it ok to take them at lunch time? (My doctor recommended I take a multi)

Lastly, things like Tums, Beano, Advil, Cold Medicine and the like...when is the best time to take these or are they generally avoided (like the tums and beano)? I really don't want to interfere with how my medicine works if I can help it.

I've there are other things non-medication related, like certain foods and beverages, that decrease effectiveness, but what are they? I do know soy is generally bad news for thyroids (my mom is convinced because I was a soy formula baby that's why I became hypo...I don't really believe that necessarily).

Thanks in advance! :)
Avoid taking calcium (Tums) until at least 4 hours after the thyroid meds.  (I take calcium 4 times a day, and have to start in mid-morning for this reason).  
Yes, definitely take your thyroid meds in the morning on an empty stomach and wait at least an hour before you eat. I'd avoid foods/supplements high in calcium for at least 3-4 hours after you take it.

I take my vitamins and other supplements after lunch and dinner to be sure it won't interfere with my thyroid meds.
Some people also take thyroid meds in evening before sleeping.  I prefer it this way and then i can still take vitamins etc. in the morning without worrying.

Have only switched for about 2 weeks to the night time dosing, but think I feel better energy wise taking them this way.

The main thing is to be consistent however you take the meds.
All of the above are correct.
Some thyroid patients have no trouble with soy at all. It has been said that it is best to avoid it. I used to be a full vegetarian but no longer am as the soy definitely interferes with my medication. I have some soy in my diet but not as much.
Things like broccoli, brussel sprouts,  kale, cabbage, can interfere with the thyroid too.
Here is a link to  reputable site.
http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/18912/2313/3

Do some reading and you will soon be educated enough to make your own little diet plan of things to have and not to have.
Cheers!
I too was taking my meds in the AM.   Waking up at 5:00 AM; going back to sleep for an hour and then eating.   Had my 3 week checkup yesterday and my Dr said to just take them before going to bed.   He said as long as I don't have any issues sleeping (he didn't think I would) that this was the easiest thing to do.   In the AM he said that you really do have to wait 4 hours before any type of calcium, including milk in coffee and cereal etc.   He also switched me from levothyroxine to name brand synthroid because of the potential variations in the generic drug.  
Thanks for the info guys! I've been freaked out about taking my vitamins because I don't want them to interfere. I was waiting all the way til bedtime but I like to take them duirng the day. So, I'm going to try taking them around lunch time to see...I usually eat lunch about 6hrs after I take my pill which seems like it is plenty of time.