Taking synthroid at 4 or 5 am ok?
I had a growth removed and 1/2 of my thyroid left. For two months I felt great. Now after 6 months I know I am not getting enough hormone to make it thru the day.

My doc did blood work and put me on 75 a day. But he didn't say when or how to take it. The druggist said to take and wait 45 mins after to eat anything and don't lay back down.

I have had a hard time with this. I like to have my coffee immediately and sit outside and read. So what is up with the not laying down?

Anyone, help me?
The delay before eating or drinking is to maximize absorption of the med.  I have no idea at all about the direction to not lay back down.  Never heard that before.  If you don't like the wait, then you might consider changing the time completely and do it before going to bed.  Here's a link that discusses the merits of doing it that way.

http://www.endfatigue.com/health_articles_t-z/Thyroid-taking_thyroid_hormone_at_night.html
Hi there. First of all, it is best to take it first thing when you wake up, regardless of what that time is. Then wait at least an hour before food. There is growing evidence to support that having it with coffee is detrimental There is a posting here with a link for you to look at. ChitChatNIne posted it.
  Secondly, the reason they don't want you lying down is that the stomach doesn't really take kindly to food, tablets, liquid just sitting there. It prefers it to be upright for faster and easier absorption.
Thirdly, YOU will have to work out what suits you best. May well be that you take it at night after waiting 4 hours after your last meal. Works for some people. Me personally I like a glass of port sometimes before bed so that wouldn't work for me.
  It is a sacrifice we have to make sadly as a thyroid patient.
I've been taking my at 5 or 6am for the last several months and then going back to sleep for a couple of hours.  Haven't  had any problems yet.  I just make sure I drink a full glass of water with it to help with absorption.  
Thanks for  your help and everyone who replied. I tried taking  it at 11 pm for two days straight... but I find that between 7 pm and 11 pm I want a snack... I have decided to do it in the morning.

I am getting up now at 6 am and take it with a full bottle of water and then brush teeth, wash face, put on walking clothes, and go make the coffee. I get on the computer or watch the news or read for 45 mins. By then the coffee is ready and it has been 30-45 mins.

I have done this for 2 days. I have been on the meds for 10 days and have tried in morning, at night and at 4 am. 4 am was the worst because I couldn't go back to sleep ---The first time I had chest pains!!

Maybe it is wishful thinking but after 5 days I felt more like myself and I assume I will feel better as time goes on. My feet are remarkably better. Not all the way yet tho.

Thanks to all.
It'll take some time before it works and you feel a big difference.

I've never heard to not lay back down. I take mine in the morning and my endocrinologist said it was fine to go back to sleep. The important part is taking it at the same time every day and allowing time before you eat for the medication to absorb.
it does not matter when you take it just take it on empty stomach, for your convenience   take it the first thing in the morning !
I red that one should wait at least two hours before eating !!
The instructions that come with my med say to take it with a full cup of water, first thing in the morning and don't eat or drink anything else for at least 30-60 min.  Because of my work schedule, I take mine at 3:30 am.  I always fix the coffee pot before I go to bed, so when I wake up, I get my med, then turn on the coffee pot, then back to the bathroom to brush my teeth, shower, get my hair dried, etc and by the time I get all that done, it's been at least 30 min and I go ahead and have my coffee, while I wait for the dogs to eat, then I get my own breakfast.  

On weekends, I still get up at 3:30 and take my med, then go back to bed... I think it probably doesn't matter so much WHEN you do it as long as you are consistent.  

genger - it does take several weeks for you to get the full effect of the med, but it's possible to start feeling better.  Within a couple of days after I started taking thyroid med, I was not quite so tired as I had been, the puffiness in my face started going down, etc --- and if you are one of the lucky ones - we'll pray that you are - you will continue to get better every day...............Good luck
Hi every one,
I need to take levoxyl and naturethroid. So I take Levoxyl at 11.00 PM. I take Nature throid as soon as I get up and won't eat may breakfast until atleast an hour. I am not sure is it ok to take Levoxyl at night or not.
Well I had a TT in January and I take my levothyroxine at 4am everyday with a full cup of water and then go back to sleep. I have felt normal since then but I gained 4lbs already. Except for the weight gain, I feel terrific! Any ideas on how not to gain weight while on this med?
Of course weight is affected by diet and exercise also, but if your thyroid levels are not adequate it can affect metabolism.  If tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T4 and Free T3, please post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  IF Free T4 and Free T3 are too low in their ranges that can cause low metabolism and other hypo symptoms.  If not tested for those, I highly recommend doing so and then post here, with ranges and we will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  Also if not tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, I also recommend those as well.