Tempature
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else with Hashimoto's has troublem having there Tempature taken in the Dr's office.
The nurse can never get my temp she always says it is way to low. Then I have to tell her to just take it in my ear and then it works.  Anyone know why this happens?
Hi Terri...
Yep, when I'm hypo my body temperature is lower than normal.  If I'm hypo my temperature quite regularly sits lower than normal.  

My endo says it's common for hypo people to have lower body temperatures.  Basically, what happens is the low levels of thyroid hormone cause the body's metabolic rate to slow, and in turn that causes your body temperature to drop.

I now keep track of my temperature daily and it's often the first sign of hypo I notice.
Wow, now i know why my temp is always low!!!  But why do I sweat excessively?
I ahve Hasi's also, and even when I feel good my temp runs between 94.8 and 97.5, it never gets to 98.6 I guess that is why we are cold most of the time. FTB4
And I guess it causes typo's too LOL
Since the mid 1990's my temperature was always low in the doctors office (97.4 - often under 98) and they never thought a thing. They just wrote it on my chart. Never dawned on them I was hypothyroid.
Even now (on thyroid med) my temperatur runs about 97.2 in the morning, although it does elevate during the day.
Prior to starting meds and supplements, my temp was around 96.5 in the AM (when I checked it anyway) and didn't budge over 97.5 in the PM. Right now, 2 weeks into meds, it "bobbles" all over the place -sometimes I am 99.1 in the evening but mostly above 98.0. (I haven't checked AM temps in a while, but I'm usually FREEZING when I go to bed late. Weird, huh?) I'm not sure this usually happens. One thing for sure, it feels like I'm emerging from metabolic hibernation as I'm beginning to lose a bit of weight! Yay!!!!  ~MM
Just thought I'd add in how my temp's...usually, my AM temps are around 35.2C (95.5 in fahrenheit) and as the day goes on they generally rise to about 36.1C (97.0 fahrenheit).

But, the past few days I've noticed the PM temp has been up around 36.5C (97.7 fahrenheit)...so maybe, just maybe, that's a good indication tomorrow's bloods aren't gunna be quite so hypo? LOL...I can hope!!!! :)

medicmommy...yay on the bit of weight loss!!!!! :)
Thanks everyone!!
I think I will start taking it every day just to see what it is running at different times of the day. One good thing I tell peeps is when i sweat my hands are so cold they are built in
ICE CUBES so all i have to do is put my hands on my head and tummy It helps cool me down LOL
Mine is always high between 98.9 and 101.9 for months now.  I was diagnosed with Hoshimotos Thyroiditis just a few weeks ago.  What does it mean if you have an elevated temperature all the time, does anyone know?
I have had Hoshimotos since 1990.  Never noticed a poblem with my temp until this year.  Mine is not low, it is too high (99 to 101).  Just had my thyroid removed 3 months ago, my temp seems to be more stable/normal now.
I could be wrong, but I remember someone telling me that the parathyroid can affect body temp.?
Thanks, I have to see a new specialist in a couple of weeks. I will ask her.