Thyroid Disorders Community
Test Results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Test Results

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 20 years ago.  I was doing pretty well with the thyroid replacement until about 6 months ago when my TSH hit 28.  Since then, my doctor has been slowly increasing my synthroid.  The last test results I received were:
TSH 6.2
Thyroglobulin Ab 146
Thyroglobulin 12.4

Can anyone please help me to understand what the results from these tests mean?  Thanks!  I feel like I should know more about this condition given how long it has been since first diagnosed.
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Are those the only tests your doctor ran?  Did he also test FREE T3 and FREE T4?

What's the range on your TGab and TG?

How are you feeling?

How much Synthroid do you take?
Blank
No FREE T3.  
FREE T4 = 15.6
She did a haematology panel but i don't see anything called TGab or TG.
I feel tired, and a bit shaky.
I am taking 175 mcg synthroid once a day,

Thanks for any input you can offer,
Blank
Sorry, I was confusing.  TGab is Thyroglobulin Ab, which you posted above as 146.  I need to know the reference range ("normal" range) that your lab uses because ranges vary lab to lab.  TG is thyroglobulin.  Yours is 12.4, and I need its range as well, also your FT4 range.

Does you doctor ever test FT3, i.e. do you have an old result?
Blank
The reference ranges are as follows:
TGab = <40 IU/mL
(There is a note with that saying: ": New method as of January 7, 2013.
Antithyroglobulin antibody values less than
800 IU/ml can be found in the normal
population.")

TG =  <60.0 ug/L
(" New method as of January 7, 2013.
Thyroglobulin antibodies may cause
false reduction of this test result.")

FT4 = 10.5-20.0 pmol/L
Blank
I don't think I have ever had an FT3 test.  How would that information be helpful?
Thanks for your help.

Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
TGab is a marker for Hashimoto's, along with TPOab, which apparently, you don't have a result for.  

FT3 is the actual thyroid hormone that is used by the individual cells.  FT4 is a storage hormone and is not used directly; it must be converted to FT3 for use by the cells.  Some people don't convert FT4 adequately and need to add a source of T3 med.  Without having an FT3 result, we don't know if this might be happening to you.

Do you think you could ask your doctor to run an FT3, along with another FT4, so we can get a better idea of what's going on?

Rule of thumb is to have FT4 about mid range; yours is at 54%, so pretty near that.  An FT3 test would tell us how well you're converting, which could explain your higher TSH.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...