Thyroid Disorders Community
Test Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Test Results

I got my test results back from my ultrasound yesterday they are as follows:
Hypothyroidism, 244.9 (whatever this means)
Right lobe is diffusely inhomogeneous.
Left lobe calcifications. there is a irregular thyroid contour
A discrete nodule is not identified within the thyroid gland. there is a question of a prominent right parathyroid gland.
Possible enlargement of the right parathyroid gland.

My PC is refering me to an Endo so waiting on the ins. stuff to get done.  What can I expect from this?  Any help appreciated.
You might go to the doctor forum and ask Dr. Lupo at http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/120 or
at left of page almost top, under "Thyroid Disorders" in red click on "thyroid" it will take you to the forum.

I am not an expert, but sounds like possible autoimmune thyroiditis...wonder what the 244.9 is a measurement of....if it is TSH it is really high,...antibodies? I would call back and ask some questions, if I were you
You should call your PC and ask his/her nurse/secretary if you can get the doctor to call you for five minutes worth of questions/dialog. Be specific about what you want to discuss, so the doctor can have your file and test results in front of him/her during the phone call.

He/she should be able to explain what the numbers and terms mean. Take notes.

Homogenous is good. Diffusely inhomogenous is not good, but I don't know why or what would cause it.

Calcification is also not good, but why it is calcified and what the significance is I am not sure. I have a calcified tumor on my adrenal gland and three different doctors said it was dead tissue and a dead tumor is better than a living tumor. The general consensus was to do nothing as it was not interfering with the function of the gland, and it was not growing.

No clue on the (possible) enlarged parathyroid.

It probably means the Endo will run more tests to get a more complete picture of the overall problems and come up with treatment options.

In the meantime, call your PC and see if he can fill in the blanks for you. I often schedule a visit just to ask questions and keep my GP up to date on what is going on. If you can get him on the phone, though, it will save you an office visit. My GP does this for me occasionally and doesn't seem to mind doing it.

If you end up with an Endo appointment two months out, and your PC won't talk over the phone, schedule a visit with him/her and find out as much as you can about the test results. It may put your mind at ease.
"Inhomogeneous", I assume ,is the same as heterogeneous which would have been a better word choice if it's the case.
Heterogeneity means Hashis from my very limited knowledge. My thyroid is "diffusely hetergeneous" and I have Hashi's. Endo says my thryoid looks like Swiss cheese.