Thyroid Disorders Community
Tests results say normal yet I feel hypothyroid??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Initially when I was diagnosed 9 years ago I had gone thru 6 months of diarrhea after having my first born son and went from 160 to 118 lbs. I was diagnosed hyperthyroid and graves disease. I was the worst case that had ever seen and TSH was 0.. to sure on others. Fats forward till now and now I have more symptoms of Hypothyroid than anything and on Feb26 all of a sudden my body is racked with anxiety attacks out of now where and throat always feels tight and swollen and of course thyroid swells... they look at my tests and say its fine blah blah blah. I have gained weight and now sit at 175 although no one believe I weigh that. I am 5 ft 6 and oh my word 2 hours after i wake up i wanna go back to bed. it takes everything i have to stay awake then 8-9 pm comes along and i am more awake.. although last 7 weeks have been hell do to anxiety... found i was low on b12 as well but yet when i take b 12 i get tired as well. So anyway i am 28 years old with a soon to be 10 year old in may 11th and 7  1/2 year old. Ive basically been in my room last 7 weeks due to anxiety and so tired and hardly able to handle lots of noise and become fearful. Anyway make along story short i had blood tests pulled on Friday... getting them to pull any is like pulling teeth oh my word. This is what I was able to get hem to do which aint much and they still wont do the thyroid anti bodies testing grrrrrrrrrr. Also have chest pain either in the middle of the chest or right now sharp pain in upper right above my breast and its driving me freaking nuts.... still no cause for it... can thyroid issues do this? Also prior to these test I took Kelp 3 days in a row....so thinking that could of affected the T3 AND T4

B12 - 606 (Also been taking Standard Process Cataplex b12 4 pills a day for 3 weeks
T4   - .90  (After 3 days of Kelp)
T3   - 2.9  
TSH- 1.74

I would love some input on this please. I am so tired of the run around and being so so so sick and tired all the time. I quit smoking on September 25th 2013 and everything seems to have spiraled down ever since... Was sick for almost 8 weeks after i quit... and then been sad and so tired ever since then the anxiety attacks that locked me in my room for a week... i hope someone can help me. My thyroid gland is also huge and so swollen and driving me nuts.
"The risk of having overt autoimmune hypothyroidism diagnosed is more than 6 fold increased the first 2 years after cessation of smoking. Clearly smoking cessation is vital to prevent death and severe disease. However, awareness of hypothyroidism should be high in people who have recently quit smoking, and virtually any complaint should lead to thyroid function testing."

"Smoking cessation is followed by a sharp but transient rise in the incidence of overt autoimmune hypothyroidism - A population-based case-control study." - Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Jun 1. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2012.04455.x. Pubmed - PMID: 22651374
What are the reference ranges on your FT3 and FT4?  Ranges vary lab to lab, so they have to come from your own lab report, and you have to post them with results.

How was your Graves' disease treated?  Did you go into remission?
all i have ever been on is tapazole foor my thyroid issues. ntohing else. i have started kelp though and see if it shrinks the goiter and i feel any better. it does not matter to be honest what our lab says on the results it goes by what the us standard actually is and id have to look for that again. It is why so many are misdiagnosed cuz so many labs are still usign the old ranges.
On what basis were you diagnosed with Graves'?  

Are you currently on tapazole?

Kelp, which has high iodine content, is contraindicated with Graves' and can actually make Hashi's worse rather than better by stimulating the autoimmune response.

There is no "U.S. standard" when it comes to lab reference ranges.  Reference ranges have to come from your own lab report because part of what goes into determining the range is the methodology the lab uses.  The only test that has on "old range" is TSH.  I'm well aware that ranges are very flawed and that just being "in range" is often insufficient.  Without a reference range, the test is basically useless.  

I was not notified of yur response again I am sorry. I was diagnosed with Graves almost 10 years ago and dont remember how they did it. I quit takign the tapazole... then went had my labs done after almosta month off of it. I didnt feel it was doignanythign for me. All I know is my goiter is HUGE and I am so tired of it. I want it gone :(
Without actual ranges, there's only so much I can say.  Given fairly typical ranges, both your FT3 and FT4 look quite low in the range, which would indicate that you are now hypo.  

How long ago did you stop the tapazole?

Goiters will often shrink once you are on meds.

I stopped taking it just over a month ago now. The goiter was not shrinking with the tapazole and never had. Also i had figured I had gone Hypothyroid by how I was feeling and fitting so many more of the hypo symptoms but they also diagnosed me with Thyroiditis and I did not know till I started researching that, thyroiditis doesn't go away as I was originally told. And with that and it commonly running with hypo I found during research i seen it made way more sense then hyperthyroid. I dont have the best doctor here. In fact when he got my heart strip after the hospital had to shock it 3 times ot get it back in normal rhythm he said he didnt agree with that and didnt see where anythign was wrong.... yet my heart was racing and flip flopping aand I was hardly functional... So yea...
But as I had mentioned will hypo and thyroidtis cause chest inflammation and such???
I should have said that a goiter will often shrink if you are on the correct meds and the correct dose to control your thyroid condition.  If you are hypo, then you should not have been on tapazole.  You should have been on thyroid replacement hormones.  If you are hypo, tapazole will make your condition (and most likely your goiter) worse, not better.

"Thyroiditis" is a generic term that just means "inflammation of the thyroid".  Some thyroiditis is permanent (like thyroiditis caused by Graves' and Hashi's), but there are also temporary forms of thyroiditis.  Silent thyroiditis, deQuervain's thyroiditis and postpartum thyroiditis are all conditions that usually resolved spontaneously.

How long had you been on tapazole?

Thyroiditis affects every cell in your body, so symptoms can be almost anywhere.  

Do you remember if Graves' was diagnosed based on antibodies (TSI)?  What about TPOab and TGab to rule out Hashi's?  Hashi's often has an initial hyper phase followed by a "permanent" hypo phase.  

Have you discussed this blood work and your goiter with your doctor?