Thyroid Disorders Community
The most bizarre symptom...smell cigarette smoke that's not there

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

This began over a year ago, and I have no idea what it's related to, but thought I'd ask if ANYONE out there has experienced this.

I smell cigarette smoke that's not there; no one else can smell it.   I have a brain MRI,  sinus CT, brain CT...all clear.  I do have a history of migraine, but haven't suffered in years from them (regularly).

When it started last year, the allergist said it could be caused by infection, so put me on 2 courses of antibiotics.  That did nothing.    I've read this can possibly be psych-type problem.  I do have awful anxiety.

Jean
Hashimoto's; follicular thyCa
Somebody else posted on here a while back about the same thing!  Maybe they will answer.

Have you lost anybody who smoked and you would recognize by the smell of cigs?  Just an idea. ;)  Or do you live in a house where a smoker used to live?  Is that the only place you smell it or is it every where?  I always had an unbelievable sense of smell, but once I developed thyroid problems it went through the ceiling.  Drives my family nuts that the least little smell bugs me soooo bad.

Dac
I have taken thyroid meds for about 6 years now and just within the past two days, I smell cigarrett smoke everywhere. I just got a blood test and thy was 1.4 (good).  I used to smoke about 30 years ago but can't remember when I last had the urg. My father died of lung cancer from working in coal mines and smoking, I think. It usually irritates me. I've never suffered many headache of any kind. This is nutz. I never post on the web either. Maybe I'm just getting old. 62 in two months if that means anything. The only thing unusual in the last week is an exhaustive day or two helping clean up after a flood. Lifting furnishings, carrying out wet carpet pieces, etc. Allergies are bad here but for some reason, I haven't had eye and nose or throat problems like last year. Maybe I swapped all that for cigarette smoke. If so. I'll take it.  I hope this helps.

JIT

Ok I smoke but I don't have the "I smell smoke problem", but I do have a strong sense of smell and it drives me crazy, I smell everything very strong, like I will walk through my laundrey room and it just stinks to me! Nobody else seems to think so but me, it is wierd. Also sometimes my cigs will taste like perfume and i will have somebody else take a puff of it and they don't taste it so i guess it is me, and I know I need to quite! Anyway I have a smelling problem to, everything stinks,lol.
Tina
10 years ago this month I was a very heavy smoker.  Today I still smell smoke in my house or various places and love it.  I also smell colons, ones husband or boyfriends wore  eons ago and they were smokers too.  I smell Italian food my husband use to cook - it smells sooo good. Sometimes I think they are visiting from the beyond and this is the way they are contacting me.  

Bazzar I know.  Maybe I have phych problems.  But I'd rather think that its contacts from the beyond.  :o)

Call me nuts!
thanks everyone ...my dad was a huge smoker my whole life..maybe it's his way of visiting me b/c i don't see him much anymore!  

it was so weird how it started...i hit my head on a mailbox while planting underneath it; got whacked pretty hard.   then a day later it started...but i was in good health at that point...training for a 100 mile bike ride, wasn't on any thyroid meds, my levels were fine, prior to the cancer diagnosis, etc.

i definitely notice it more when i'm anxious, have the headaches.  
Okay, it may be due to brain trauma.  Did you go to a dr when it happened?  My Gran'pa and my ex-husband both had severe brain traumas, led to my divorce, and my ex smelled things that weren't there and they really bugged him.  My Gran'pa smelled smoke all the time.  Don't remember any more if it was cigarette smoke or what, just remember him smelling smoke and thinking things were on fire.  That could be the cause of it.  

GL--when I mentioned the smell from someone gone on I thought every one would think it was a joke, but I wasn't really joking.  I'm with you.  I occasionally walk into a room and smell my Gran'ma's perfume very clearly.  And sometimes when I'm in my garden I can hear my Gran'pa beside me, just his breathing and lightly humming hymns.  Gardening was his favorite thing in the world after preaching.  And singing off key.  Completely believe that our loved ones let us know that they are around us.  Always seems to be more prominent when things are really bad and I need comforting.  Glad to see you are also a believer.

msfergy--I smoked my last cig on Feb. 1 this year.  I also use to taste perfume on my cigs sometimes.  My husband thought I was crazy, too.  And as I said on another post I don't wear perfumes b/c I'm allergic to them.  Odd, huh?

JIM IN TOLEDO--Welcome.  Bout time you came out of lurkdom and joined us!  =+)

Dac
Okay, I'm confused.  Went back and reread your last post.  You said that maybe the smoke was your dad's way of visiting you b/c he was a huge smoker your whole life.  So I assumed he was gone.  But then you said you don't see him much any more.  Huh?  So then I think he is still with here.  Am just confused I guess.  Probably shouldn't even ask, but just couldn't stop myself.  Sorry.

Dac