Thyroid Disorders Community
The thyroid & depression/anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

The thyroid & depression/anxiety

Anyone else out there know if there is hard evidence that the thyroid is connected to depressios & anxiety?  
What do you concider hard evidence?
If you look at symptom lists of hypo/hyper thyroid you will see depression and anxiety listed.
There are tons of case studies, multiple clinical trials in which depression and anxiety are part of the scales used to measure improvement.

You can also be depressed or have anxiety without thyroid involvement.
Most of us know it because we've lived it.  I had anxiety when I was hyper and had it when I was hypo too.  Anxiety symptoms go away away for me when my levels are on point.
There are many peer reviewed studies that show a direct connection.  This is a great starting point.   http://www.drrichardhall.com/anxiety.htm
when i became hypothyroid depression is one of my symptoms.

There is a connection.  Your thyroid plays a huge role in hormonal functions and when your hormones are out of sync, your brain chemistry is also off.  Depression and anxiety often go hand in hand, too.  When your neurotransmitters are misfiring, there can be several issues that come up, but depression and anxiety are usually the results.  For me I take a good multi and fish oil and that usually keeps it in check.  But when my thyroid is acting crazy, I feel like my body is my enemy, my thoughts are not my own, and I am simply at a loss.  So, there is definately a connection!  Stay strong!
Sorry to reopen such an old post but I wanted anyone checking here to know that for many of us it's not debatable if there is a link.  We know there is.  When I'm hypo, I'm about the most useless, depressed person I know.  When my levels are good, I'm 100% normal.  Depression isn't one of my symptoms, it IS my symptom. I also don't sleep, but I attribute that to me being depressed and my racing mind.

Along with the depression, I have an almost uncontrollable jealousy of my wife.  I got jealous last night because she was texting her friend, and her friend was trying to arrange for the four of us to go to an NFL game.  Simply illogical, ridiculous thoughts.  And this is coming from a guy with the best wife, and I'm the least jealous guy in the USA when my levels are good.  Heck, I'd let her and her friends go party with Bon Jovi if they got invited!

Sorry to vent.  I'm exactly 5 weeks into my increase from .100 to .125 and waiting for results.  I had 7 drinks with the neighbors last night and I know that is probably feeding into it.  I'm going to try to limit myself to 2 drinks tonight and take benadryl at 9pm.  My mind is so gone you would have to lock me up to keep me from cracking at least 2 beers.  Wish me luck.  I know relief is coming soon.  I'm barely going through the motions until that day comes...