Those of us on Armour- #2
Here is #2 thread that goes along with our first one which was taking too long to load due to it being so long!!
For anyone new, there is a lot of posts to read in the first thread and then please post on this one. Lets keep it going full of great information and support!!

Thyroid Extract is the brand name in Canada for the script similiar to Armour. I was looking at it as an OTC by error.

DEMP-

Switching to Armour is a difficult challenge - but most find it worth the battle. Your doctor may come up with rumors of inconsistancy and bi product caution - but rest assured - many are on this med and do very well on it.

Getting on it is the battle the "war" is making sure you are administering it in the way it is intended and follow appropriate lab testing which many docs are not in tune with anymore.

Some doctors will script it and then not really understand exactly how to monitor it.

Most Armour patients now a days are there own advocants and learn about the meds and how to take it. It is a challenge as I have faced - but well worth ever outcome I had.

I know am in a team approach with my doctor to keep me at optimal levels and I feel since my switch I now am back in control of feeling really good!

You may want to Google Armour benefits prior to your appt - and read about it if you are considering the switch. This will give you a boat load of information to approach with your doctor.
My appointment went great! I found out he was hesitant about it because he said he had'nt switched anyone back to armour since synthroid came out.  He also told me that he was like the last doctor to turn patients to armour in our county.  So he was really easy and trusted my judgement and told me that he tried to fight the switch about 20 years ago.

I'm really happy and I hope that I'll have great results too, I start tomorrow :) after reading everyone's post I was ready with a pill cutter lol I've cut them all in half.

I was on 100 mcg synthroid so I had already gone to the armour website and got on the converter and it said that I should be on 60 mg or 1 grain armour, my doctor went ahead and perscribed it for me and since I"m going on vacation right after finals for a whole month he's letting me stick to it unless I feel strange and then get tested when I get back :)

Usually we test for t3, t4, tsh, and my calcium levels.  Please let me know if theres other tests I should bring up when i go get checked up :)

I totally understand the team approach thats how this doctor has been with me since I came to him when I was 16 and our five years have been all understanding care he's not the authoratative type of dr. :)

Anyway I'll keep posting my progress and if anyone is switching around this time too let me know we can compare :)  

THANKS!
OK - you made the switch - Great!!

You should consider getting that pill cutting out and cut those 60mgs in half. Take a 30mg in the early morning and the other around 11am.

The direct t3 going in is very troublesome to most people until the body accepts the switch. This will "even keel" you out until things start healing.

Remember all thyroid meds take time to adjust - you will ned to be patient on this as you were with Synthroid.

If you feel jittery - cut the tablets in 1/4 instead of 1/2 and take it 4 times a day.

If you get a mild headache - that's normal - last about 2 to 3 weeks.

If you need any information - I can give you what I know and Laura1967 can assist you too.  There are a few Armour people here - so if you post a question - many will respond that have additional information too.

Good Luck

Upped my dose today - 120mgs of NTE (I'm an Aussie). Feeling slightly better (compared to being on thyroxine), though my new GP yesterday queried & suspects longstanding zinc/copper imbalances, estrogen dominance & gluten/dairy intolerances - stating these can impair any thyroid medication (synthetic or natural).

I'm having a HEAP of fasting bloodtests done tomorrow (DHEAs, RT3, insulin, iron studies, Vit B12, Vit D, plasma zinc, serum ceruloplasmin, serum copper, transglutamase IgA, IgA, anti gliaden IgG and A, homocysteine, TFT, 24hr urinary cortisol), will be eagerly awaiting the results & let you guys know asap!
I think its too soon to judge but so far today I've had no side effects at all its great haha and I didn't need my 3 pm nap!  Thanks :) they are all cut in half and put in my little daily pouches that I carry around with me :) I just need to make sure to get consistent on the afternoon one.  Today I didn't take it until 6 :D Anyway so far I'm happy about this
bumped for glorbry....let us know if you have any questions on this thread that you asked to see. :) :)
welcome!!
I wish I had found this forum sooner! I can't believe I didn't for all the years I have searched for help. I have been on Synthroid for years and absolutely miserable. I had total thyroid removed in 1994 due to papillary cancer. I have read a lot of the postings so I have gotten some good information, but could use a little more help. I have been begging doctors/ Endos for help for years to no avail. They just wanted to put me in the mental health category.  I basically became a vegetable as the years went by. Found out in 07 after changing Endos that my parathyroids were knocked out during surgery! I cried for days as I was mad that it took 13 years for that to be discovered even though low calcium all those years!! With initial addition of Calcitriol, my energy surged, but I quickly fell again, Up to that point I was on 150mg alternated with 175mg of synthroid. Slowly started bring synthroid down, felt miserable, begged them to stop lowering me, suicidally depressed with every adjustment, but no one believed me that it was related to thyroid. They said depression, bi-polar, etc and wanted me to take more meds which I refused.
  Anyway, enough history, I found a doctor that was willing to let me first try cytomel, I felt amazing for short time, but then started having heart jumping not palpitations, really scared me. It happened even on the weakest dosage possible 1/4th of 5mcg..  So I sunk back into sluggish depressive state. I have asked and he is letting me try Armour. I was on 125 mg synthroid at time of change. He started me on 120 mg of Armour 2 weeks ago today. Luckily the pharmacy only had 60's, so after a few days of feeling poorly, I sought out and found this forum and stop the madness web site with great information about dosaging. After the first few days I did split dosage to twice daily instead of 120 at once. It did help a little with energy in afternoon, I still don't feel good after 2 weeks, I have pretty bad headaches and pretty constant, but it was good to read that it is a side effect that can be expected and should subside. Also really tired and anxious to get my brain and energy back. My questions is should I still have started at a lower dosage and worked up. Was starting at this dosage bad? I feel so tired and am trying to be patient. I am not suppose to go back to doctor for 2 months or so, and I am thinking I need to be checked in 4 weeks. I had labs done day before so I have something to compare to. Any advice would be great, this has been a long ugly road and I want off of it!!!
I noticed the last time I posted a comment was in Sept.  I have now been on Armour for about 8 months.  I am at 120mg.  I take half in the morning and half in the afternoon.  I feel ok most of the time.  Still have down time around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  Still have the aches and pains in the hands and wrists and sometimes feet.  

I went to the Endo. on March 13, to find out that my "NUMBERS" are finally normal, with exception of my T3 being slightly elevated(above the normal range).  I don't have the heart flutters or heyper feelings tho.  Do you think it's possible for it to have a reverse reaction when your T3 is too high?  

Also, I wanted to add some vitamins and I am not sure when to take them.  Since you shouldn't have any 4 hours of you thyroid replacement, should I take them at bedtime???

One more thing!   I'm a little nervous because my doctor as ordered a full body scan.  It has been a little over a year (Feb.26) since my TT and a year (Apr 4) since my RAI.  Is this routine?
I am so glad you feel better and actually I am really struggling on Armour since starting in late January. Of course, I have been struggling for the last 10 years!! I had to lower from the 120mg, due to heart palpitations and now really feel hypo again! Yuk

Anyway, I had papillary cancer and TT back in 94. I had a scan 1 year after my first one  which I was told was routine. I had several scans after that which used thyrogen(sp)? (where they no longer had to take my thyroid meds from to get tsh up). My memory is so bad, but it might have gone to scans every 2 years after that. I had one about 3 years ago and was told that I could go 5 years after that one.  Hope that calms you a bit!
Where were your levels at exactly? TSH-Free T4-FreeT3?
Hi, I have been on Armour for a little over 2 years. The best thing by far for me was that I lost all of the weight I had previously put on after my tt 5 years ago. That said, I still have all of the other symptoms of hypothyroid. It's so hard to get up in the morning, work all day, drive home and not fall asleep right away. I have absolutely no energy for the weekends. I with that Armour had been the miracle I wanted, but aside from the weight loss, I feel no different than I did on levothroid. Of course, I am afraid to change to anything else because I don't want to gain the weight back. It's the only thing that makes me feel good about myself. My whole family is thin, but I'm the only one without a thyroid. In fact, I'm the only one who has had thyroid issues, except for my 92 year old grandfather and he's on a very low dose of levothroid after being diagnosed maybe a year and a half ago as hypo. Anyway, I will be seeing my endo in a little over a week, and she is very easy to talk to and open minded. But over the last year, my levels have been all over the place. And that is a problem with Armour, because being a natural hormone, the tablets are not exactly the same each time. So, I'm glad to have found this thread, I look forward to being part of the support group. Thank you so much for being here!
Terri

are you splitting you dose?
What were your most recent lab results for your thyroid labs? How long ago were they done? It sounds like you may be on too little medicine yet, which can happen a lot on armour. The drs don't always realized that being in the "normal" range does not mean normal. I will explain when I see your labs.
Usually optimum levels for a patient on armour is: TSH supressed to look like you are hyper, Free T4 mid normal range, Free T3 mid high normal to higher.
Sooooo usually people that don't feel good on Armour, are either not getting enough meds, or your body is resisting it.
Hope this helps and yes as Stella said, you should be dividing your dosage into at least 2 times.
I am not splitting doses, actually I had not even heard about that until I joined this forum.
As for my levels, I am listing results starting from Feb 2008:

2/21/08   4/8/08   8/11/08   8/27/08   10/22/08

tsh      1.00        1.51      0.08        0.01          0.02

free t4  0.70       0.69     0.78         0.90          0.94

t3         215          91      280           138          190

I am confused as to the difference between t3 and free t3. Any help is really
appreciated! Thank you so much for all of your experience and knowledge!
Your Free T4 and Free T3 levels are way too low. You are undermedicated or your body is resisting the armour. If your dr goes by your tsh, then you will never get enough medicine in you to feel good.
First off is that you need a new set of bloodwork!! It has been wayyyyy to long. It has been 6 months since your last set of labs. You should be getting them every 3 mos when on thyroid meds, unless your thyroid was removed and you have been stable on thyroid meds for a long time, or you have been stable for yrs.
Thank you, Laura! I will be seeing my endo soon and will (again) ask her to order the
labs. I now feel "armed" with this information. Just knowing this is possibly behind how
I feel, and not just something I need to accept - or not just how I am and never can
feel different! I am uplifted by your words!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
Hi Laura,

I just got the results from my latest labs.

Free T4 is 0.71
T3 is 153
tsh is 0.02

Thyroglobulin AB is less than 0.1u/ml

and Thyrogloblin is less than 0.4ng/ml

I still don't understand this stuff. My throglobulin was at less than 0.1ng/ml last year. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. From what I understand, that is the primary test used now to determine if the cancer is coming back. But, I guess I can wait a few weeks.

I started taking my armour after eating this morning. I split the dose and took the other half this afternoon. I am looking forward to some better results, then I will talk to my endo about this at my appt. at the end of the month.

P.S. If my words get jumbled, it's not me! My computer has a mind of its own and sometimes I end up in the middle of a previous sentence, obliviously typing a word that does not belong. :)

Thanks again, Laura! By the way, if your name is any indication, we were born in the same year!

Oops. Had the ab and thyroglobulin levels backward.
Hi Terry- Remember you should be taking your thyroid meds 1 hr Before you eat....empty stomach for absorption.
Yes you are definately still undermedicated with your free's being that low....wow you must be feeling yucky. You need to explain to your dr that with armour you need to be treated by your free's and your T4 should be at least mid normal range, and your T3 should be mid high normal range.
Good luck and let me know how you do.
Hey there, just wanted to pipe in cause there seems to be real confusion going on - at least with me. There was another post about when to take Armour and it seemed to be that everyone said that you take Synthroid or T4;s a hour before eating, but with Armour you need to take with food as it needs something to bind with. I still feel so poorly and I had been taking an hour before until the last couple of days and now trying to take with some food. There just seems to be conflicting information on this, so anyone else input would be appreciated. Thanks
Hello I am new to this site and just yesterday I convinced my doc to put me on Armour....so first day for me.  I was taking Synthroid and Cytomel, so at least I was used to taking some T3.  He has me starting on 30mg for 2 weeks than 60mg.  I could tell he didn't want to change me and emphasized in his notes it was the "patients request".  I have read to split the doses, so I took 1/2 of the 30mg this morning and will take the other around lunch...is this ok?  Any advise for a newbe to the group and newbe to Armour is greatly appreciated!  I only hope I can finally feel well!  Thanks for listening :)
Hi, I'm another new visitor.  I was on Levoxyl for 7 months and it created high blood pressure, shaking, insomnia, light headed and dizzy and other negative side affects that are too numerous to mention. I finally begged my doctor to let me try Armour for which she was very reluctant but agreed.  Within two weeks my blood pressure went back to normal, I started sleeping again and I was actually able to go out and about on my own.  I was at 75mcg Levoxyl and now take 45mg of Armour but it doesn't seem like enough because I'm still very tired.  I do split the dose by taking 2/3 when I get up, and the last 1/3 around 2PM.  Two Questions:
Does anyone let Armour dissolve in their mouth as opposed to swallowing it? Also, has anyone experienced side affects from Armour with respect to a weird feeling or pressure in the eyes or tightness in the chest?
I appreciate feedback; glad to have found this link.
Hi and welcome!

How long have you been on the Armour?  I am still new to taking Armour as well (only the first week) and I was on 75-100mg Synthroid....only taking 30mg Armour right now and I do wonder if I need more but trying to be patient.

I do take the Armour and let it dissolve under my toungue (sublingual)...it is suppose to get into your bloodstream quicker rather than having to swallow it.  I like this because it doesn't then matter when I take it...

I haven't had those side effects on the eyes, but I did seem to have a bit of tightness in my throat, not bad enough to scare me, just different.

Started taking Armour on April 1 and my last blood tests showed my TSH was at 5.6 which is high for me.  I feel better around 1 or 1.5.  If I take 30mg of Armour at one time I notice that my chest feels real tight about an hour or so after that.  Then it starts to feel better and I take the second dose about 8 hours later and again my chest tightens up.  I've decided to try it different today and do 15mg at 6AM, 10AM and 2PM to see if that helps.  Think I will try it under my tongue to see if that doesn't get better benefit as I just read swallowing it causes stomach acids to make it less potent. Why did you switch from Synthroid?
Hi ,..

I am a new visitor and I had my thyroid removed on May11 '09,..I have been taking Levoxyl 150mcg for about 60 days ,..but still feeling very sleepy in the afternoons.I was tested on 07/08 and my endo called and told me my TSH was 4.5and that I needed my dose lowered to 137mcg (why?????????) ,..this doesn't make any sense to me ,...I asked him  about Armour and I got shot down ,I had a physical with my PCP this week and she gives her thyroid patients Armour ,..she wrote me a script for Armour 120mcg,..but I haven't filled it yet cause I'm sure if I've given the Levoxyl a fair chance to work .BUT ,.....I really feel like my endo doesn't know what he is talking about ,..(if I lower my dose ,..won't I become even sleepier ?) please help
It doesn't make any sense if the TSH result was really 4.5.  Could it have been .45?  If so, this would be more consistent with the Endo wanting to lower your meds.  Of much more import than TSH would be free T3 and free T4.  Have you ever been tested for the "frees"?   These are the active thyroid hormones that create the biological activity in the body.   Free T3 is four times as potent as free T4 and it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Free T3 also correlates best with hypo symptoms.  TSH is a pituitary secretion that is affected by many variables and does not correlate well at all with hypo symptoms.  Why doctors continue to rely so heavily on TSH as a diagnostic is a mystery to us.  It would be far better for the doctor to treat your symptoms by testing and adjusting your FT3 and FT4, by medication as required to alleviate your symptoms.  It's really all about symptoms, after all.  I think you might benefit from reading the article in this link.  

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
I think you should fire the endo and go with your PCP. If you feel you have given your original med some time and still feel bad - you can try Armour and see if it benefits you.

The only thing and I stress as Gimel does. You need to rely more on the free T3 - Free T4 labs than using the TSH as a guideline.

I'd like to see you continue this post on your own thread. This is a very long post and many will not visit this as it takes a long time to load.

I don't want to vent to hard on your endo. If you say he looked at the TSH at a 4.5 and wanted to lower your meds... especially when you have NO thyroid.....

he should not be anybody's doctor then in my book.

Especially since he ignored your quest to "see" if Armour may help. Way too closed minded of a practioner regardless of his "endo" status.
Where do you get information on acceptable free T3 and free T4 levels?  My last TSH was 3.13 which my endo said was fine.  I tried to tell her that I wasn't feeling well still and she just brushed me off and told me to go to my primary care doctor.  I had RAI therapy over a year ago and wanted to ask her about parathyroid glands since I've heard they can be damaged with that procedure.  Some of the symptoms I have mirror those of parathyroid issues.  SHe just wants nothing to do with me, especially since I asked for Armour over Levoxyl.  I just can't be sick anymore; it's been over a year.
Thank you guys for responding . I love this forum !,.My endo sd my TSH was definitely 4.5 and he thought I was crazy by asking him about my free T4 and T3. I went ahead and filled my script for the Armour today ,..but I split the 120 mg in half ,..(because I read that I might get a slight headache ,..and I had one ALL DAY :(
I will not be going back to that endo (sticking with my family doctor ) and like you sd Stella ,..he shouldn't be anyone's endo !I hope my headache doesn't last too long ,..I also bought some selenium and L Tyrosine today (I saw that on this forum as well ),..I'm going to start a new thread
I am on my third day of Armour. I really believe that I am starting to feel better already. My chest is not as tight,breathing calmer, and more energy. I am very hopeful!
Got a physical bc my blood pressure was reading high. Main conclusion of blood work: TSH of 44 but without major symptoms.

Doc scripted T4 of 75 mcg. Have since been forewarned by this community to avoid unopposed T4 due to its adverse effects.
THANK YOU FOR THAT.

I am 50, and take a generous multi-vitamin, but no never-ending prescriptions. Really don't want to start when I feel fine, either. But doc says, do it. If I did, I would probably start on 60 of Armour, cut into fourths; start at a quarter dose for two weeks and work my way up every few weeks to the full dosage, depending on my body's reaction.

Any suggestions?

This is a very old (and long) thread and I haven't read it word for word, but I'm not sure where you get that unopposed T4 med has adverse effects.  There are many of us on T4 meds who do just  fine.

Those who have "adverse effects", are usually over medicated or have a reaction to the binders/fillers in the medication.

Were there any thyroid tests, other than TSH done?  You need to have the actual thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 tested, as well.  TSH is pituitary hormone and should never be used, alone, to diagnose/treat a thyroid issue.  

In addition, 75 mcg of T4 med may be too high a starting dose.  Many find it better to start at a much lower dose, and work up slowly, allowing the body to become accustomed to having the hormones it's been doing without.

If you have results for the Free T3 and Free T4, you would get better attention if you start your own thread, rather than posting on one as old as this, since most of those members are no longer on the forum.

THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Any suggestions?

oops, sorry for the double post: didn't see my post and your reply listed until now.

I got the idea that taking T4 unopposed--without accompanying T3--had more bad side effects from reading the posts of others who had taken it from this and other website threads.

No other tests were done besides the routine physical blood work. maybe that is because my insurance covers nothing else at this time.
You may want to think about getting tested for the Free T3 and Free T4, even if insurance doesn't cover it, because we see WAY too many people being treated, based only on TSH and they remain sick, in spite of so called "normal" TSH levels.  I'm one, who was kept very ill for over a year, because of a doctor who only treated by TSH.

No one should ever be given a medication with the T3 component, without being tested for both FT3 and FT4.  T3 med is much more quickly metabolized than T4 med and without proper dosing, you can go hyper very quickly.

There are websites, from which you can purpose a standard thyroid panel (TSH, FT3 and FT4) for approximately $85 (out of pocket).  You get the lab order, then set up with a local lab for the blood draw; within a day or two, you have your results.  One that I've used in the past is healthcheckusa.
Thanks, I'll check into that. I would like to have an objective baseline of more than just TSH before starting "treatment."

Doc thought a TSH of 44 by itself was cause to start a script of 75 mcg levothyroxine.
While TSH of 44 is definitely cause for concern, you also need the other tests to be able to guide your treatment properly.  If you can get your doctor to do the FT3 and FT4, that's great, but if not, I'd go the other route.
Hi.  I just started my first dose of Armour this morning.  I had been on 175 Levoxyl for nearly a year.  In October I went for my routine Gyn visit, got the ol' thyroid blood test and BAM!  TSH 19.....crap.  Unfortunately, my Gyn didn't bother to call me with this information and I didn't find out until over 6 weeks later.  Thankfully, my endo was able to see me this week and he is wonderful!  He actually suggested Armour instead of upping my Lev dosage to over 215.  

He's started me on 150 and I'm taking it in the morning per his instructions, scheduled for bloodwork in 6 weeks.  No headache so far.   (I don't have the other results, T4, T3, etc right now but they were run.)

I guess it's sort of perverse to be thankful that my number was so high, but I've felt so rotten the past months.  It takes everything I've got to just get out of bed.  I don't do anything anymore...some days I don't even take a shower.  I had even talked to my Gyn about changing to a different anti-depressant, thinking anything would help.

Anyway, sorry to babble on but it's great to find others feeling the same as I do...but hopefully better.

Also, any suggestions on (brain fog....can't come up with the word...grrr) additional things (i.e. multi-vitamins) that I could be taking to help.  Thanks for any help (I need lots, LOL).
I would not add anything else at the moment. Give Armour a good try for a few months to actually see what hypo thyroid symptoms it helps relieve. Instead of relying on your body to convert T4 to the hormone all of your cells need, T3, you are now ingesting it directly.

Another note: When switching from a T4 med (levo) that stays in you body longer than a T3 med, its best to work your way up to the dosage. Many doctors do not thinks of this, thus patients quite commonly go temporarily hyper untill the old T4 wears off.

The T3 in Amour most likely will eliminate the brain fog, help mood, and help any body pain resulting from low thyroid levels.

This is an old thread, might want to start your own thread for your specific questions.
Has anyone noticed more hair shed from taking armour?? I"ve been taking it just a week, 30 mg and have experienced more hair shed, which is stressing for me because hair loss is my major complaint of the hypo.
These are my test results through Healthcheckusa.com:

Test Description                Result Range Units
TSH004264                32.94 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum010389  2.4 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)019745 0.79     0.82-1.77 ng/dL

Looks like I'm close to the healthy target range for FT3 and FT4, but still way over the range for TSH. What do you think?
NORTH ALABAMA GIRL NEEDS A DOCTOR I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years ago. I diagnosed myself. I started out with the hyper symptoms...waking me in my sleep. I was sweating, heart racing, feet & hands cold, pupils dilated, and waking every 30 mins all night. all docs said it was anxiety & all in my head. Eventually a year later everything stopped and i started having PVC's (which i still have occasionally today). Stress test is normal. I think it is my hypothroidism. I take Synthroid 75 mcg & Cytomel 2.5 mcg. I really want the PVC's to go away! My friend recently had a heart attack at 38. The heart doc believes her endo had her on TOO MUCH synthroid!!!?? Go figure. Help me find a doctor that knows what he is doing. So I do not have to live in fear of my heart failing me. I want my life back with my two boys & husband. They want me back too. :(
also wondering if i have low adrenals (cortisol test 4/11 was 9.3); what is the salt water help? I have hashimotos and my last TSH test was march at 2.270 i am on armour 90 now and feeling better than when i was on synth 100 (tsh 0.393)  i am still very tired and cannot loose any weight and have severe migrane headaches at my cycle time. any suggestions or help?
This is a reply to a very old post but I have to ask how things have gone.  I have been on levo for about 6 yrs, first at 50 then at 75.  I never felt any difference in my fatigue, weakness, dry skin, weight, depression etc....Nothing happened except my labs (TSH, T4) came back better.

New PCP found nodules and Hashimoto's.  2 years trying to control bp.  I have been on up to 5 different bp meds at a time.  Hypertension specialist got me down to 2 pills, 3 meds because one is a combo pill.

I have RA so I know what joint pain is.  BONE pain has ended me in ER but joint pain never has.

I am just getting ready for my first trial of Armour.  Doc is "figuring out equivalent dose" and going to talk to my endo.  He expects some resistance but says we can try it anyway.

My question really has to do with the bp and bone pain connection to thyroid.  If you are hypo on labs can thyroid sporatically spike bp to "malignant hypertension" levels like 228/114?
One grain of Armour (60 mg) is the equivalent of somewhere between 75 and 100 mcg of T4 med.  It all depends on what assumption is made for the relative biological activity of T3 to T4.  Some say it is a 4 to 1 ratio.   So with 9 mcg of T3 in one grain of Armour, multiplied by 4, plus the 39 mcg of T4 in one grain, that is equivalent to 75 mcg of T4.  If you assume it to be a higher ratio, then one grain of Armour can replace up to 100 mcg of T4.  Personally I prefer the one grain to 75 mcg of T4, because of my own experience with switching to Armour from Synthroid.  

From your many hypo symptoms, it seems that you have never been adequately medicated.  You really should request to be tested for Free T3 and free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4) each time you go in for testing.  Also would be a good idea to test for Vitamin A, D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.   With Hashimoto's, you can expect to have to continue to increase your meds to offset the loss of natural thyroid hormone.  Based on the experience of myself and many members I doubt that your Endo would agree with all this, but then what success have you had with your doctors so far????  

If you will get that testing done and post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  
Hi there,
I haven't been diagnosed but think there is something wrong with my thyroid results. I was wondering if anyone would be able to comment from their experience? I'm considering starting on Armour myself as am getting nowhere with doctors.

TSH (0.27 - 4.2)
May 2012  1.76, Oct 2011    1.2, July 2011    0.95
Is is normal to jump around like this in under a year?

Free T4 (12-22)
May 2012  12.7, Oct 2011    14.8, July 2011    15.3

Free T3 (3.9-6.0)
May 2012   4.99, July 2011  5.4

Thyroid Peroxidase IgG (finger ***** test) 12.3 (range 0-75)
Anti-Thyroglobulin <40 (normal)
Anti-Thyroperoxidase <35 (normal)
Were you having symptoms that led you to get the thyroid tests done?  If so, what symptoms are you having?  Are you on any thyroid meds now?  If so, what type and dose?  

Your test results aren't really jumping around.  TSH has been increasing, but is still in a range that is not a strong indicator of thyroid issues.  Consistent with the increasing TSH, your Free T4 and free T3 have been declining.  This pattern I would normally associate with early stages of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is the most common cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism.  The tests for Hashi's are TPO ab and TG ab.  I'm not quite sure of the numbers posted for those tests.  Is the <40 a test result?  If so, what is the range they recognize on the lab report?  Same question for the <35 result.
Hi Gimel,
Thanks for responding. The Two antibody test ranges were simply listed as under 40 and under 35 which are the normal range. They didn't give me the actual numbers. Those results were from early 2011 as well which is before the T4 and stuff started to decline.

I've loads of hypo symptoms which has led me to investigate - fatigue, brain fog, cold hands and feet, hair loss, thinning eye brows, weight gain, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, always feeling cold, no sex drive, increasingly heavy periods and frequency as well as huge clots (all starting earlier this year).

As I said, I was considering looking into taking Armour - no, I'm not on any thyroid meds. I am taking Isocort for adrenal support but thats it.

Thanks for your input!
Those symptoms are consistent with being hypothyroid.  However, before starting on thyroid meds, I think it would be a good idea to get some additional testing done, to determine your current levels before meds.

Specifically I would test again for Free T3 and Free T4.  Also, I would test for TPO ab and TG ab, to see if those results have increased to a  level that would be diagnosed as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is the most common cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism.  Since hypo patients are frequently low in other areas, that can have similar symptoms, I would also test for Vitamin A, D, B12 and ferritin.  Since you are taking Isocort, you should get a 24 hour urine cortisol test to see what your levels are currently.  One further test I recommend is Reverse T3.  Some researchers report that the best measure of tissue thyroid levels is the ratio of Free T3 to Reverse T3.  

If you will please get those tests done and post results and their reference ranges, members will be glad to help interpret results and advise further.
Hi Laura
I have been on synthroid for about 18 years. They found my under active thyroid when I had developed a virus. I have had diarrhea everyday for the past 18 years. I have had colonoscopies diagnosed with IBS.  I just recently started researching everything because of being treated for environmental allergies.  I have hay fever and have since I was a kid.  I read that people wit
h hay fever should not take synthroid due to the ingredient acacia. I also have a corn pollen allergy and have read that I should avoid all form as of corn. Synthroid has cornstarch. I went off my synthroid about as month ago. My belly ache that I would get an hour after taking it has sent away and the diarrhea is subsiding .  Have you read anything about the acacia? And now I need to find an alternative med. without cornstarch .felicia