Thyroid Disorders Community
Throat and neck problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Throat and neck problems

Hi, had an op back in March to remove a benign follicular adenoma . My thyroid then became underactive and I'm on 100mcg of  levothyroxine daily. My neck and throat hasn't been the same since the op and I'm getting very stressed and worried. I have a very tight feeling in my neck and a pulling sensation plus I've had a burning sensation in my gullet and I'm starting to think something very serious is going on. No nausea or weight loss and no problems eating.I don't smoke or drink. My GP has treated me for heartburn but medication not much help. I've suffered from IBS for years plus I've got high blood pressure. I know I'm very stressed and that doesn't help my problems. Don't know if these symptons are related to my thyroid problem or something completely different. Could these problems be caused by scar tissue? Has anyone else experienced similiar problems?
Sorry you didn't get an answer to your question, which is most likely because we don't know, or due to so many repeat and/or similar questions, perhaps it was answered in another post, so you might do a thread/post search.

However, if you haven't already, you might go to the Doctor Thyroid Forum and ask Dr. Lupo at http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/120      OR
at left of page almost top, under "Thyroid Disorders" in red click on "thyroid" it will take you to the forum.

If you have posted more than one post per the sites rules for doctors forums, you probably won't get answered.  Or if the forum is full and not taking any more questions for the day, you can try another day.

Good luck and Best of health!

IMO you could get an gastroenterologist to look at your esphogus and stomach with an endoscope to gauge the irritation of the esphogus and stomach lining. Alternately you may want to test for helobacter pylori.(sp?) the organism that causes ulcers.

If you are a Causacian with Irish/English/Northcountries heritage, you are also at risk for celiac disease. Celiac is often silent during young adulthood. If you were a colicky baby, an of the ancestry mentioned, there is a good chance you have it.  Its an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten and other proteins found in oats, wheat, barley and rye. A simple, inexpensive way of testing for this is avoiding all these grains for a month of so, and see if your symptoms improve. Then have a nice big loaf of Italian bread and see how you feel the next morning. LOL

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease and one of the main causes of hypothyroid.
Some think its the result of years of untreated celiac disease.

good luck
Mzz