Thyroid Disorders Community
Throat tightening feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Throat tightening feeling

I just started on Armour (30mg) It's only been 1 week. I just started getting this tightness in my throat that is bothering me. It feels full and I can sometimes feel a pulse there. Is this the thyroid reacting to the sudden increase in meds? I keep on thinking the "c" word. My Doc has not done an ultrasound, should he have?
(worried)
"Is this the thyroid reacting to the sudden increase in meds?"

- That was my guess when it happened to me, my throat got hoarse and sore too for almost a month.

- I felt that when starting new thyroid meds (I switched a few times with the Armour shortage back in '09)

I've had the pulse feel to and it went up to my ear, happens every time I increase my thy med for a few days then goes away.

Thanks for the response, it really makes me feel better knowing that is what can happen. No one lets you know these things can happen and I was worried.
I had that feeling being hypo several times, but it got worse after starting and increasing a thyroid med from a hypo point. It was a worrysome feeling that you cant ignore, I mean its your throat!

Three desiccated meds I was on, each had availability issues one after another in one year. That was he// on my body. On the other hand, I got to know what being really hypo and starting a new med felt like more times than I wanted. Some strange things happened, this was one.

It never hurt to have an ultra sound. Those of us with nodules on the thyroid are reminded to get them every 18 months. After Roger Ebert just dying from thyroid cancer (rare to die from it), I understand the importance.

Thanks, my doc wants to see me soon for a recheck. I will definitely ask about it. I can say it's much better today though. I've gone through so many slight changes since starting. It's all so new to me.