Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyoid

Will I ever gain my weight back, that I lost since my thyoid quit working, i am hypo, my test came back 4.65 and I went from 137 down to 102. 9 months later. Doctor tested me for everything, so far the test came back neg, he is not sure why I am losing weight, go back on the 22nd Dec. to get results on a noudle that was drained from my right side of my thyoid.
I'm sorry you (and your husband) feel that no one can help you on this site, because we aren't doctors.  No, we aren't, but we've helped a lot of people find a way back to good health, because doctors don't always treat thyroid conditions in the best possible way.  I'm living proof of that.

While you are in the process of "ruling everything else out", please ask your doctor to do some extensive testing on your adrenals.  They are a very important part of your endocrine system and prolonged periods of stress can cause them to become fatigued.  

I wish you the very best of everything and you're welcome back anytime.
Your TSH being 4.65, which is somewhat on the high side, is usually accompanied by low levels of T4 and T3, which are the actual thyroid hormones.  TSH is a pituitary hormone.  TSH causes no symptoms, it is just an indicator of the T4 and T3 levels, and a poor one at that.  

So, your TSH does not really fit with weight loss, unless your hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  With Hashi's, nodules can sometimes form on the thyroid glands.  These nodules tend to leak thyroid hormone faster than normal, causing swings from hypo to hyper and back, even though the overall diagnosis with Hashi's is hypothyroidism.  

It would be a good idea to go back to the doctor and request to be tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), along with the TSH.  If the doctor resists just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  Also, you should request testing for the thyroid antibodies, Thyroid Peroxidase, and Thyroglobulin.  The tests are denoted as TPO ab and TG ab.  This will rule in/out the possibility of Hashimoto's.  

The Free T3 and Free T4 tests should identify if the weight loss is thyroid related.  When test results are available, then please get a copy of the lab report and post test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
Can you please post the specific tests your doctor has done, along with the results and reference ranges.

As gimel mentioned, you really need to get tested for the active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.

Nodules often tend to leak hormone independently of the thyroid.  

I know you are on thyroid med, and my first impulse is to say that you are over medicated. Please post your medication and dosage so other  members can get a fuller picture of your situation.

Please let us know which tests have been done already, then try to get the ones that gimel mentioned above.

Always get a copy of your blood test (or imaging) results from your doctor, each time they are done.  This will help you keep a "running record" of your illness. Many doctors routinely provide lab reports, but they are obligated to, upon request (in the U.S)
Hi, thank you, I am not showing any T3 information, on my T-4 it is showing 9.2  it is in range . Only other thing that is high is my cholestrol 239 and ldl is 158 and I was taking cretor, but could not breath so I have stop taking it for now My Potassium was 3.2 L. it says TSH 4.65 H. 3rd generation? and T-4 is 9.2 This is from Quest , did a second blood test and everything came back neg, except the 3 things I have listed. My Engo. does not know why all the weight lose, The Doctor put me on Armour 30mg. a day. That is all for now until the noduel test comes back, he stuck 2 needles in my throat and removed alot of fluid and is checking it and see I had a lump that is 2cm on the right side of my thyoid. My voice is horse some days worse than other, lost half of my hair, on my head, had hot and cold flashes I am so pale, I had really dry sgin, threw up for 6 weeks and nothing would stay down this was in Feb,2011 Just 2 weeks ago stated eating like a whole sandwich for lunch, then half my dinner. I just do not have an appite. My stomac will start talking feed me, then after I have a couple of bites, I am full, my stomac is like the size of a walnut.
Also I was tired all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep, I have the systoms of Hyper But the test show Hypo, My hands right one would shake un believable hard where I could not write, But since I been on this med for about 1 week I feel alot better, but the weight, I just want to gain weight, My endo. gave me a script and I filled it it is to help me gain weight, have not taken it yet, though, waiting untill the 22nd, 2011 Dec. get the liquid tested that came out of that nodule.My husband says I look fine and  I will gain my weight back, Stop stressing over it and look on to all the blood work coming out neg. That I do not look bad,Of course he is right it will take time to gain the weight back.I have always been small growing up 111 and for ever until Dec,2010 shot up to 137. Now I am down to 102 One year later to the day. So I have lost 35 pounds in 1 year. hope this helps you to help me. thanks to any one who can advise ahead of time.
What is the reference range for the T4 and is that "free" or "total"?  If it doesn't specify "Free T4" or FT4, then that will be a test for total T4, which is not the same.  Total T4 is considered an obsolete test and is not very useful anymore.

Do you know if you've been tested for thyroid antibodies to see if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease, such as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Do ask your doctor about getting the Free T3 and Free T4 tests EVERY time you have blood work; these are the numbers that tell us the most.

Just being in range on blood work, is not always good enough. Some of us find that we have to be at the higher end of a range in order to feel well.  That's why we ask for reference ranges, since they vary from lab to lab.

While weight loss with hypo is not unheard of, it's rather uncommon; your weight loss may not be thyroid related. Have you been  checked out for other things that could cause weight loss, such as diabetes?  

I'm also questioning that nausea, inability to eat.  You might want to see about visiting a gastroenterologist to  make sure everything in stomach is ok.

Another thing to keep in mind is anxiety.  When we get stressed, our anxiety levels can skyrocket and some people, me for one, tend to get an upset stomach/nauseous when I'm under a lot of stress.

I'm happy to hear the medication has started to help you.
Hi, I hope you both are doing better,My husband said the same thing after the nodul test and if that comes back neg. He is taking me to get test onmy stomach I have no pain, sometimes tho, my stomah hurts really bad and it cramps horrible, but after I do what we all do, then it is out and my stomac quits hurting. I am on IBS for 3 weeks now since I been taking the med, it is not water any more coming out. Thank you Barb. and gimel.
Hi, You said to start a new thread which I thought I did and no one cares, I have to  deal with this on my own, never reached out for help always figured things out  on my own, I see I made a horrible mistake thinking, maybe some-one might have some type of answer. But what else is new, in the end you are always on your own. No one really cares.
I'm sorry you feel that no one cares or that you're on your own; both gimel and I responded; I'm sorry you feel we did not respond adequately. We aren't doctors, and can only gather information and make suggestions. Our goal is to provide information, based on what you tell us, that might help you find a path to better health. gimel provided some excellent information and we asked some questions that you did not answer; without adequate information, we can only go so far.

I asked if the T4 test was for "free" or "total" (this makes a huge difference), what is its reference range (extremely important)?  Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? Can you get your doctor to run a Free T3 test, along Free T4 and TSH?  Have you been tested for diabetes, which can be a major cause of weight loss?

These are all questions that might lead us to more information for you.

My test says total. I am just real moody, I know you two are tryin to give me helpful informatin, and I thank both of you, on my med, for IBS I misspoke I meant I was on it for 3 days. Because since taking the Armor I am back to normall. Yes my Endo. Doc, tested me for diabetes, My dad was diabeticcame back fine, everthing is in range except for the three I mentioned my thyoid my cholestrol high, my potassium is low 3.2   my red blood count is good 4.56, white blood count is 9.2 my glucose is 93.my Doctor did circle these not sure what they are and my new Doc whom is Endo. did not say but this was what was circled Urea Nitrogen 10, Creatinne 0.66 Have no idea what that is. I get real moody, and I am sorry
Hi, where would I find the Thyoid antibodes on my blood test what would it be under. I use Quest, if you use that then I can you on this question?
Hey, I understand the weight loss thing. I also have that problem. I am down to 104 (with shoes & clothes on). I lost 2 lbs in two weeks & trust me did not need too...

However, I eat like a pig & NEVER feel full or have any stomach issues. I am (just increased dosage) on 175mcg of medication, but my TSH last time ran was 13.8. ( I had a TT 18yrs ago).

I do get embarassed of my looks as far as weight & the thyroid eye disease I developed, but my friends & family don't judge me by it & know I have endocrine issues...

I know you said you feel full, but try to eat, if anything peanut butter is real good or drink something like ensure to make sure you are getting the proper nutrients.

Hi, that is like me I was in wal-mart the other day and get this a woman who was with husband,  I was standing in line to pick up my script and they were laughing about the way I look and they were in their 40,s could not belive it, me too I weigh 102 fully dressed, I have lost my leg hair, and face hair, love that:) and under my arms, half of my hair, started growing it out 5 yearsago and not as thick as it once was, a coulpe of times I would run my hands through my hair and a huge clump of hair fell out. it is to my waist, thank goodnes naturally curly so still looks thick, but I can tell when I wash it and I am hoping it will stop. What do you do and will you ever gain any weight back? I do drink Boost ever day. I can put my fingers around my uper thigh, my for finger and thumbs. I look like a deflated ballon, like ever thing was sucked out of me. Will I ever gain some of my weight back. Been at 102-106 since July 2011. So least quit loosing, hopefully. I am sorry to hear about the thyoid eye disease and your weight loss. I have been under tremendous stress and I read where Docs, say your thyoid goes into survial mood when something horrible happens, like divorce, a death so,Then it usually goes back how it is spose to, but I am still in survial mode.Mine thyoid never kicked back in. Thanks for the advice, wish I could help you, but I am clueless been on Armou30mg. for about 2 weeks. So I know nothing, not even on  how to read a blood test, but am a quick learner.
The antibody tests would be for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab) to test for Hashimoto's.  Due to your weight loss, you should also ask to get tested for the Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) to rule out Graves Disease.

If you haven't had them, you should ask your doctor for them, along with the FREE T3 and FREE T4 and TSH.  

Please always post reference ranges, with any labs, because it's important for us to see where your levels fall within them.  Often, just being in range isn't good enough, but many doctors don't understand this.

Have you had adrenal function tested?
Hi, no I do not see any off that on my bllod test, I stated going to the Endo on Dec.8th 2011 So I have not been going very long in that time, this will be my 3rd time come 22nd Dec. 2011 The new Doc ran ever test their was to run and MY Doc. said quote unquote everything came back normally, I do not understand why you are losing wweight, that is when he went in with 2 niddles and with drew alot amount of fluid from a 2cm.Nodule on the right side of my thyorid. get results then. I will ask him about all of that next week. They both Doc. jumped on it amittledly my spelling is horrible, give me numbers I am a wiz. So in reallity I have been going for only 7 days to my Endo. I sleep like 3 hours every other day, so WoW did not realize It all started last week feels like forever, Do not Drink or anything just loose track of days because for 7 days I have on gotten probley 14 hours sleep. Just want to sleep and add a few pounds, and feel better. My mind never slows down. It is like stop the madness.Please. In 3 months read 25 books. I can not keep going full throttle, feel like I will blow up. imploye.
You really need FT3 and FT4 - it sounds too much like you are over medicated.  Can you call your endo and try to get in sooner, or at least ask for the blood work I've suggested, in order to have it there at your appointment?  

Hi, yes, also, I am starting the first med. my Doctor gave me, which is Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 25 mcg. Generic for Synthroid 25 mcg. This med. made me feel like I did when in my 20's. The hot and cold feeling went away, the tiredness, the shaking, I even slept on this med. This medicane, helped alot, He put me on Armourl 30mcg. because I cried when lost another pound. But I did tell my self I am going back to the first med. my Endo. had prescribed. So today the 16th,2011 will start taking it, that other stuff did not work at all with my body. I will ask if I can get another blood test, last time I was their he sent me to get blood work and took 11 vials of blood from me and I am not talking small vials. That is why he does not understand everthing coming back normal. Some of the vials were at least 3 inches around They used four of those. Yes I will ask for the T free3 and Tfree4, really have to wait, because my other test has not come in yet. Thank you for listening.
Hi, I mean FT3 and FT4 oops.  :)
It's not usually a good idea to change medications without being tested first.  Armour contains both T4 and T3, with the amount of T3 being much higher than your body would normally produce; you may not need all that.

If you got symptom relief from the levo, that might be your best bet, but you should still get your doctor's blessing prior to changing.

When you get your blood tests, ask for the antibody tests to confirm/rule out Hashimoto's.  If you have Hashimoto's, you will know that as the antibodies destroy thyroid tissue, it will produce less and less hormones, and you will need periodic adjustments in your medication.

Wow, that's a lot of blood.  I don't know why your doctor doesn't understand everything coming back normal - apparently, he didn't check for the things that are causing you to feel badly!!  

Aside from that, I have an aversion to the word "normal", since often being in the so-called "normal" range, is not sufficient.

If I remember correctly, you get the results of the FNA, on the 22nd; is that correct?  If you talk to your doctor, maybe he would order the FT3, FT4, TPOab and TGab now, so results would be back by the time you see him on the 22nd.  Just a thought.

Hang in there; it will get better.
Hi, It was alot of blood the lady at Quest said she has not taking this much blood. I am not sure what you mean onFNA I will recieve my test back from the biop. on the Nodule that my Doctor drained. Yes that is like us we do not understand it either. Nothing is out of range except the 3 things I had mentioned way early. I did find an article on the web, that fits me to a tee. I typed in the seach engine-   Can Stress Cause Thyoid Problems it is on e-How site. and Says extremely traumatic events can lead to PTSD. your thyoid goes into survial mode and when everything comes down you go back to normally welll mine stayed in surville mode, this is why we ride the roller coast of life, I feel, but back to the information. George Chrousos MD. Cheif of Pediatric and reproductive Endocrinology Branch explains how stress can affect health. According to this Doc. a stressful event will cause a body to go into survivial mode. Hormanal systems not directly realted to immediate survival are shut off,and the systems that control growth,metabolism reproduction and the immunity are all affected after the crisis ends, all body systems return to normal.The body can become stuck and it leads to a number of health problems including Graves Disease. Then Dr. Robert J. Graves is the one who identied the disease did note that his patients had stressful events in their lives before the on set of the systems.In 2009 study published in the European Journal of Endocrinology also draws a direct line between stress and Graves Disease. They are working on blockin the stress/thyoid disease link. I have always been very healty until feb.2011 won't go into detail, but I did make it back with my life, then for 6 weeks throwing up evertime I eat,quit eating, thinking I would get better, ate like a child,then all the other systems came about, and it is like I am in need of some help, and this is where I am today.Still under alot of stress on what happened to me on that day. But yes the levo works alot better, took this morning and then went to bed from 9am unti10am and acutal had a dream and sleep nice, the other med. could not sleep to save my life. even with a sleeping pill.I really hope so, Thank You.
Hi, the reason I think I have Graves is because I always weighted between 111-115 then last fall started climbing up andd Dec.8,2010 Got my usuall check up and my weight went up to 137, Never been one too weigh myself, just would buy bigger pants, and went from a 4 up to an 8. Thought okay WoW I finally have a Tush. Then, Feb,2011 came and all that I am telling you, the throwing up, not eating, lose of hair, shaking, night swats, cold all the time, dry skin, and I live in a warm area,throwing up, not hungry and weight loss. So in realty I was on the on set of Hyper, so tired, I was taking naps, was doing wash once a week instead of my usuall 3 days a week, 3 times in 9 months left dishes in the sink for 2 days, the thought of even doing them made me tired. Stared using paper plates to serve dinner, and I never wanted to go any where, just thinking about going some where wore me out. Then my brain, I started forgeting, I did not ever forget anything, kinda a blessing in disquise so I put in  Can stress cause thyoid problems, and bam their I was reading about myself, so I set an appt. with my general Doctor, ran the 1st test and then He said I needed to be seen by an Endo. So, I set up an appt. and then did the 2nd blood test, and I have not ask to see them the first ones, they gave me a copy when I asked, and will be asking for the copy on the one where they took 11 vials from me. I like having my ducks in a row. I am very intuned with my body, always was a runner, and excrise 5 hours a day, had built up muscles, now I look like a defated BALLON. It is killing me to look at my self, I took pride in the way I lloked, never ate junk food always fruit and veg, meat no liquior, alot of tea gateraid, boost, sprite, now I having people laughing behind my back at me.My waist is still a 29 but things shiffted, my running legs look withered. my upper arms are not tight, so on So, I am going to be getting back on my tread mill and tone up what I have left. But I was working toward Hyper. Have not been able to tell my Endo, waiting for all and any test he wants to run to double check. Like having my ducks in a row, and this blind sided me.If feb,2011 never happened in my heart I believe I would of kept gaining weight. Would of then jumped on the tread mill, but never got to find out, Their was a night mare waitng and I was the star.But I Thank God I  made it back Alive.But i am no Doc. which ever one I have i am glad I found the answer and seeked a specilist who has helped me. and will contiue to do so.
Your post is somewhat confusing.  You keep referring to Feb 2011 and saying that you "came back alive".  Apparently, there was something horrific that happened then.  Have you served in a war zone? Have you ever been confirmed as having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?  

You also keep talking of "survival mode" - I know the body sometimes has to endure things that we think we can't endure; I've been down that road and while on it, I had a lot of the same symptoms you report - inability to eat, throwing up what you do eat, severe weight loss, etc.... but came through it.

I'm not sure that thyroid issue are your only problem...... I really need to see some blood test results in order to help you.  

Hi, what other issue would I be having? I will get them on the 22nd Dec, 2011 I am going to ask for a copy.Then I can let you know the results, after you ask for what ever the ones you want, I am sure it is lenthley, because of how much they tested me for.No, never been in the service.
You asked "what other issue would I be having?" Anxiety can cause the symptoms you are having; while it doesn't "cause" thyroid problems, it can also make your thyroid problems seem much worse.  

You said in a previous post that you got a copy of the first blood work that was done by your pcp.  What tests were performed that time? And how long ago was that? If you can let me know what tests were done, I can tell you if it's anything that might be helpful to us while we wait for your new tests to come back.

Your symptoms are indicative of over medication and/or anxiety, but, of course, there are other things that could cause your symptoms, as well, so, I really can't offer further suggestions, without having some lab results to go on.  

It's only 5 more days until you get your results.  Hopefully, when you see your endo, he will have a diagnosis that you can report back to us on.  In the meantime, we're still here for support.
Hi, I understand, the 1st test I hade done was a test for my thyoid, I set an appt. and the Doc. looked at me and listened to my systoms and said I needed a blood test,that was Nov.14th,2011 so on Nov.15th, 2011 went and got one, had to wait till the next day because it was 2:30 p.m. when I got out of their  and the Doctor needed blood sample while fasting. so had to go at 7:00 am,went back to the Doc. Nov.22,2011 and refered me to a Endo. I then called and no one in that building could see me until Jan,2012 Said I can not wait that long, So started calling around and found an Endo, that could see me Nov.28,2011 So went and seen him, We have great insurance so did not need to be refered. I would of went to the one my Doc. wanted but could not wait 60 days. This Doc. is to the point and seems really good.Yes anxiety is one of the cullperts no dought about that.Yes, 5 days can not wait,  Just waking up makes me anxiety always been that away.I have a ton of stress in my life. On the blood work I have I  T4 and my TSH but no T3 anywhere.My T4 total came back9.2, then TSH came back 4.65 then says 3rd generation.  like gimel said it is my pituitary hormone.Here are the test my General Doc. ask for, LIPID PANEL, COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL< AMA  DEFINED LIPID PANEL. seems like mostly my blood so to speak instead of my thyoid.The secound blood test test I pick up Thursday.
What were your cholesterol levels like?  That would be the lipid panel.

Okay, so your T4 was 9.2, but that was total, which is obsolete and of little value; even less, without a Free T3 to go with it.  

What about vitamin B12?  Have you had that tested?
hi, Yes I  know , I take crestor. My t-3 is 4.65 I was reading my blood test wrong. my t-4 is 9.2 My B-12 is in range. yes you keep letting me know it is obsolete, but back to the 11 vials they took, I will get a couple of my new blood test Thursday the 22nd,2011 It was239 high and LDL 158 High. 39 percent out. My pituitart glade is working like it is spose to. Yes, I am Hypo. My Endo, did run those tests free t-3 and free t-4, but was felling lousy did not ask for a copy, I will get it thursday.. HDL Cholesterol is 51 in range, Triglycerdides 148 in range.My Husband let me know, I have been reading my blood test wrong. My Potassium is low 3.2 and I take a potassium vitiam every day 400mg. and eat a banana. My breaks it down speaking of my bllod test, each one then it also says total, so indivual on each was tested and then the total, so it is broken down in 2 ways.
Sorry abot the miss spelling, get typing and make a ton of mistakes, and some of the time just can not spell.  :)
What was the range for the T3? Was that total?

What was actual number for your B-12 level, along with the reference range.  That's another of the tests, in which being "in range" may not be good enough.

High cholesterol is a major issue with hypothyroidism.

There are many things that can cause low potassium, including the vomiting/inability to eat that you experienced, along with low magnesium levels, and many other things.  Hopefully, magnesium will be on the blood test for which you get results on Thurs.
Hi, the range on my T-3 says 0.40-4.50 and mine is 4.65. Did not know that on high Cholesterol. Will it just say B-12?  What med. do you take and and what is the mg? Husband at work so can not answer the B-12 unless it is under a different name I do not see it? Thanks for listening to me have a melt down, I guess not being able to control this is really bothering me, I have always been the fixer in the family, Everyone would say ask her she can fix it, and now I have no one to ask for information. So hear I am asking strangers for advice and my Endo. Always been the strong one.  I need all this STRESS out of my life, I am a worry wart and that is determental to my health. It is like I am wired that away, I was thinking of getting Hipnotized and having a few things in my brain tweeked. I worry about every-one else, and then when I lost a pound, in all my life never cried for my self, I started crying for me. 4 more days and counting.
This Levo works for me if you read my blogs from before I was all over the map, my brain was in a fog, I am usually a very clear person, I read some of my posts, and they do not make a lot of sense. Guess that is part of the Thyroid too?
Vitamin B12 -- my recent lab report says Vitamin B12, but have had some that say cyanocobalamin.  

While brain fog is a major symptom of being hypo, I think many of your problems are related to P.T.S.D. even if you've not been dx'd with it.
Hi, no I am not showing this on my first blood test. i will recieve my second one, when I go back in will be asking for a copy. I guess I might of got my nudels from when working at a nucler plant, as a Traning Cord. Yes,I agree I am going to talk about it with my Doctor on Thursday, so He will have some back ground on me, Right now we want to rule everthing else out, Like No Cancer, No stomach issues, My Thyroid is one and I am being treated for that.I have lost half of my hair, all my leg hair and face hair love that. and also under my arms. the tiredness, just thinking about doing anything wore me out, and i was always active.I probley won't be coming back to this site, my husband says it is just a bunch a bloggers, and no Doctors and they can not help. I said I know and only one person talks to me any way, Probley because I put in as my name darkclouds, tried violet, sunshine, rainbow, happyme and those names were taking, So I said I will put the oppiste in of me and see if that sticks and it did. I am far from dark as  one could be but, at the time really wanted to get on, and see if  any one would take the time, to talk with me. My answer was right, a name means everthing. Thank You Barb135 for taking time out of your very busy life to give me some of your time. your Auntie needs you, your children and Husband and your new granddaughter, not to mention your four legged family. But I Thank You From The bottom of my heart I have no one only my Husband. But that is enough, because I see it once again, One allways stands alone. You take care and hope you and yours will make it though all your trials, that life puts in front of you.You keep doing what you are doing and help these people on this site. Bye.

Hi, I am young. :-)