Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroglobulin AB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroglobulin AB

In September I had the Thyroglobulin AB test and the result was 60 with <20 the normal.  I just has it retaken last week (mid-March) and the result was 61.  The doctor said that since my other thyroid tests were within normal ranges we are just going to continue to wait.  My cortisol levels (through salvia testing done in September) said my adrenals were high in the morning and noon and low evening and night.  My total cholesterol is now high, up 40 points within 1 year.  So since September I have been working on stress reduction and adrenal support and getting my female hormones in balance.  Along with my normal good diet, exercise and sleep.  Is there something else I could be doing?  Could I have cancer? Any advise?

This discussion is related to High THYROGLOBULIN AB - 37.4.
Thyroglobulin ab (TGab) is a test to measure antibodies. You have a slightly elevated antibody count. That means you have the potential to develop an autoimmune throid condition.

That's not good news, but it does not indicate cancer in any way. Your doctor is right in waiting to treat you if your thyroid levels are in range.

The only advice I can offer is to ask for a copy of the thyroid tests so you can look at them at home. Your TSH can be high and still be in "normal" range. Often if your TSH is high but normal, you will start to develop symptoms of hypothyroidism.

As far as your TGab level, all you can do is check it from time to time. There isn't any way to affect that number, short of removing your thyroid, so worrying about it is futile. Knowing about it is usefull, both for you and your doctor. Treating it, however, is not possible. Checking it frequently is sort of a waste of money.

This is no consolation to you, but it could easily be ten or twenty times higher than it is.

Did your doctor also run a Thyroid Peroxidase antibody test (TPOab)?
Thank you for your comforting comments.  It is good to know that I and my doctor are doing the right things.  My Tsh is good at 1.77,  with the range from .40 - 4.50.  My doctor did not runa TPOab, but i will suggest it for next time.  Thanks again.
My TgAbs have measured 1500-2100 every time I've tested, so they can get fairly high (my TPO Abs are <10). I'd suggest making sure you get retested at least every 6 months, and watch out for any symptoms that might indicate your thyroid isn't functioning well. For lab tests, keep in mind what is "normal" and what is "optimal" are not necessarily the same thing, so do lots of reading and learn as much as you can. The current AACE standard reduces the high end of the TSH range to 3.0, so your lab's range is not current.

Did you get any of the free T's run when you tested the TSH? The free T's are the thyroid hormones, the TSH is the pituitary hormone. Looking at the relationship there will tell more than looking at just the TSH alone.

Hope this is helpful.  :)
Lab ranges are amusing, in a way.
Labs use so many different ranges for TSH, a person could make a hobby of finding all the different ones.

My local lab is using 0.34-5.00 right now. Last year it was 0.50-5.00. I see every combination under the sun quoted here, from 0.30 on the low end to 5.50 on the high end.

Your TSH of 1.77 sounds nice, and I am envious, along with other members I am sure, who would LOVE to have that TSH.

I'm sort of the opposite of Letterer, in that my TGab is less than 200 (I forgret, actually), but my TPOab is around 1,250.

Those antibody numbers are useful for two things. Helping to make a diagnosis, and guessing how fast Hashimoto's will progress if you end up with that as a diagnosis. The fewer the antibodies, the slower the disease progresses, and the easier it is to control.

My hope for you is that you will get along fine, even if you eventually need to be put on replacement hormones.
This is all new to me and I am researching now that I have been put on Synthroid. My story starts by saying my thyroid problem was found by accident. I work for an ENT and she was seeing me for a sinus infection. During my exam she noticed my thyroid felt enlarged. I went for a TSH ( 3.90 ) and a T4 ( .9 ) and a thyroid ultrasound. The ultrasound showd thyroiditis and so she sent me for the Thyroglobulin AB which came back as 201 and the normal range was <41. She started me on Synthroid right away. Is this the correct treatment?
I take Synthroid and Cytomel for Hashimoto's Disease.  I have been diagnosed with Undifferentiated Autoimmune Disorder by a rheumatologist.  My most recent labs show that my white cell count is low (3.0), cholestorol is high (222) and my thryoglobulin ABS in over 3,000.  What does this mean?