Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroglobulin levels?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroglobulin levels?

What are the normal ranges for Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin antibodies? What do these typically mean? Thanks for any help!
There are different answers to this question depending on if you've had a total thyroidectomy and radioactive iodine or not.  As I don't know ranges for those who have not had thyroid cancer, I'll answer the ones I do know.  After thyroid cancer and after total thyroidectomy followed by radioactive iodine, the idea is that there is no functioning thyroid tissue (either healthy or malignant) thus there should be no detectable thyroglobulin.  The range for the antibodies should be <20.  

Now, if you still have a thyroid, the answer to this question is totally different, and perhaps there is someone else here who would know the answer.

Take care,

Amy
I'm not an expert, but if you have had a partial and had cancer there will be detectable am't but I don't know the range.  However, it is the # looked @ over a period of time in this type of case for consistency .. in my case it's 7.8 and my doc said that is fine with what they removed and left intact w/o RAI.  I guess he looked @ a baseline # from 2yrs ago to today and didn't see any movement and he felt it was the "right" # for the size/type of small tumors I had, etc.

It's also a visual looking @ the #'s over time not just at one test I think ???

C~
I've never had thyroidectomy-although I'm considering it b/c of strong family history of thyroid cancer and I have a lymph node that is enlarged in front of my thyroid... Anyway my Thyroglobulin was <2 and my Thyroglobulin antibodies were 71 ml/U.