Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroglobulin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroglobulin

Had hashimotos for 11 years and taken 75 levotjyroxine a day.   Went to dr as noticed my goitre was slightly painful when I pressed it particularly when I lifted up my head and dr did tests.  All thyroid blood tests ok eg tsh etc but thyroglobulin came back as 54 which the dr now wants to repeat.    Scared this may mean cancer but my question is can my thyroid be producing the thyroglobulin even though I have been on levotjyroxine for so long?  Thanks
What's the reference range for the FT4?  Ranges vary lab to lab have to come from your own report.

Sometimes, we have trouble posting, especially if the comment is really long or something.
Oh and also have lump in throat feeling but not sure if this is anxiety now
What's the reference range for the TG?

Thyroglobulin is a protein used for making thyroid hormones.  It's used as a tumor marker.  Your doctor should follow up with further tests to find out why your levels are high.

Thank you for replying.   The reference range is up to 32.  
Has your doctor set up further testing?

Just to clarify - that IS thyroglobulin and not thyroglobulin antibodies? Right?
Hello again.   Yes the thyroglobulin.     Not the antibodies.  Thank you for replying again.
"Increased thyroglobulin levels are found in the following conditions:

Untreated and metastatic differentiated thyroid cancers (papillary and follicular; not medullary or anaplastic or other rarer types)
Metastases after initial treatment
Hyperthyroidism; this is not always correlated with increased thyroxine
Subacute thyroiditis
Some cases of benign adenoma"

- Medscape - Thyroglobulin

"Elevated thyroglobulin serum concentrations have been reported in various thyroid diseases, such as

- hyperthyroidism
- non-toxic goiter
- thyroiditis
- differenciated thyroid carcinoma"

- DRG Diagnostics- Thyroglobulin ELISA
Has your doctor set up further testing?
Hello. Thanks for replying.  Yes went back yesterday. They want repeat bloods of thyroglobulin and peri oxidase antibodies.  My last thyroglobulin was 54 and the peroxidase 138.  Originally when diagnosed with lymphocytic thyroiditis 11 years ago  my perioxidase antibodies were 600.  I had no thyroglobulin test at the time.  My thyroglobulin antibodies have been zero all the time.  She has ordered ultrasound which is in 3 weeks.  She thinks it is a flare up of thyroiditis - although I have no inflammatory markers and said risk of cancer 1% but all I read is hasi people have high incidence my perioxidase antibodies are middling which is indicative and something is producing thyroglobulin so I am worried.  My tsh is 1.4 thanks for listening.
Your high TPOab (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies) indicates Hashimoto's and yes, you could be having a bout of thyroiditis, but you still shouldn't have that high level of thyroglobulin.

Since Hashi's is progressive, if you've had it for 11 yrs, most likely your thyroid is "dead" and no longer produces any hormones.

What about testing for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH?  Has your doctor ordered those yet?  Do you have symptoms? What, if any, thyroid medication are you on?
Hello.  My TSH is 1.4 and the F3  and F 4 levels are within the normal ranges on the lab report.  I think like you that my thyroid is probably not doing much so would be incapable of producing thyroglobulin especially in those amounts. But the dr says that I still have my thyroid and it could be producing the thyroglobulin - she won't give me an urgent referral.  What do you think? Thank you ps. I am on 75 a day and have been for 12 years.  Thank you
Hello again. Yes I think like you that my thyroid must be producing nothing so the high thyroglobulin is worrying - dr isn't doing urgent referral as she says thyroiditis flare up. But no inflammatory markers up so to me that suggests it isn't.   Very frustrating!   She said as there is no past reference test not to worry as she says it may always have been high? Free T4 is 15.5  TSH 1.4.  Can't see a t3.  Thanks for replying.  
Just doing test post as last two I wrote did not work

Thank you and sorry not to reply earlier.  Dealing with chickenpox - my son. And I am sure my other daughter will get it too so it has rather taken my mind off things which is good!  Ultrasound on 20 march now and they want to redo bloods for thyroglobulin ( just that not the thyroglobulin antibodies) and also the perioxidase antibodies.  I will try and get that done this week but tricky with the little one!  I will update you when I know more also thank you for replying and being there.
Also my hips and my right knee are so achey (achy) especially at night and when sitting down.  Don't know where to put them!  Dr said to deal with achey (achy) joints another time. But just wondered if you had experienced anything like this? Thanks
High thyroglobulin could give a false high on the thyroglobulin antibodies. .

My hips and knees hurt really bad when I'm hypo.  Knees hurt when I stand up from a sitting position; hips hurt at night if I lay on one side, too long.

You might want to think about getting another doctor if your current one isn't willing to refer you to a specialist.