Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroglossal Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroglossal Cyst

Hi my 2 year old son was diagnosed with a Thyroglossal cyst 3 weeks ago. At the time it did not appear to be infected but the consultant in ENT prescribed him with antibiotics anyway. He then had a scan to confirm the cyst.
Since then the cyst has become infected and he is now taking his 3rd set of antibiotics. There seems to be no improvement. He has massive tontsils and breaths very heavily. Every night he is being sick. I have read that these things need to be removed. Is this a tumour?? My sons consultant is very cold and unfriendly, he makes feel like im taking up too much of his time when we had only seen him for 5 minutes. Currently my son is under the weather and the lump is very red and pointy, I would say the size of an oxo cube, maybe a bit bigger. I am aware he will be having the Sistrunk procedure but my question is when? Because as far as im aware they cant operate while its infected, but the antibiotics are not working. Thanks
Hi, my son also had a thyroglossal cyst at about the age of four. Seemed to pop up over night at least it seemed that way to me. It was the size of about a golf ball that protruded out of the front center of his neck. Took him to a ENT and he removed it. I don't know how they know if it is infected or not but my son was never given antibotics. Surgery was scheduled and it was removed. This happened 25 years ago and back then they didn't give me any other options. He did very well with the surgery and has only a slight scar mid neck and has never had any problems since. I would think you might feel better getting a second opinon if you can. Good Luck!
Oh.. I don't believe it is a tumor but a cyst as it is referred to. At least that was my understanding of what I was told!
Hi thanks so much for the info, I wish they had just removed it from my son as soon as they had found it. Another lady I have spoken to has said the same thing with her son. He was 18 months old and they found it on the monday and removed it on tuesday. She also mentioned her son had a drain fitted for 4 days, did your son have this too?
My son did not have a drain that I can remember. The surgery was worse on me then him :)