Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyrogossal Cyst and Hyoid Bone Removal Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have recently been in the process of having an infection (both bacterial and virul) leading to the discovery of a large neck cyst.  My physician sent me for a neck/thyroid ultrasound, followed by a neck/thryroid CT scan. I was then referred to, and have just seen an ENT, where a biopsy of the cyst was performed.  The ENT has diagnosed me with a Thyroglossal Cyst (or TDC).  It is very large, and to on the left of my Hyoid bone.  He has scheduled me for surgery for the removal of both the cyst and the Hyoid bone (to prevent regrowth).  My concern/question is...are there any serious complications coming from the removal of the Hyoid bone?  I am having great concern over the thought of having a bone, that is utilized for vocalizaion, and the anchoring of my tongue.  I was not told of any concerns that I should be made aware of!  I would appreciate any input, or experiences had by anyone who has had the procedure, or knows anything about this!  Thank you!
Is the total bone being removed or just part of it? I have no experiences whatsoever, however, I know that bone is significant in speech. You are right to be alarmed, and should not have an irreversible surgery until you have been fully informed and have consented to the risks and outcome. I find it odd how common it is for doctors to proceed with treatments and decisions without really explaining or involving the patient at all.
I believe the Dr said the whole bone, but from my research I see that generally it is only the midsection of the hyoid.  He did say that the reason for not just removing a piece is that it often fills back in and regrows a cyst.  The only thing that the ENT said about any type of after-surgery issues is that I would be in the hospital for 1 night with a drain, and that I will not be able to lift over 15-20 pounds for 2 weeks?  My older sister had him for a neck growth (not the same type or location-benign), and she said he explained every possible complication to her and seemed very thorough, and with me, all I mentioned above is what he told me.  The whole thing caught me off guard I guess, plus I am very anemic right now, have fibromyalgia (just diagnosed in May of 2011-no meds), and am having a female outpatient surgical procedure this week coming up, so I really have a lot on my mind, and am slow at thinking of questions.  I will also be running this by my primary care physician, and may mention it to my gyno, who follows all my "stuff" as well!  I just don't know though!