Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid & Iodine Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid & Iodine Allergy

After surgery 21 years ago I found out I am allergic to topical iodine treatment.

Five yrs later I "became" allergic to shrimp.  Not all seafood, just shrimp.  My family doctor at the time said it was probably the high iodine content in shrimp only.  I never mentioned the reaction to topical iodine to that doctor, I never even thought of it
.
Two years after that (10 yrs ago) I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and sent to an endo and he put me on synthroid, which I have been taking ever since.  My doctor has all my levels correct but I still have morning slugginess and the afternoon slump and I cannot seem to lose any weight.  I am not sure if my doctor even knows about my iodine allergy, I will tell him at my next appt. in June.

In the mean time does anyone know if I should be using iodized salt or is that the same as my other iodine allergies?
Is there a connection between my iodine allergy and my hypothyroidism?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
K