Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Ablation

I was diagnosed with Graves almost 2 years ago and had my thyroid ablated 2 days ago.  When will I feel normal again?  Why do I need to wait 4-6 weeks to see my endocrinologist?  Am I going to start getting the symptoms of hypothroidism now?  I
RAI- in most is a  slow process of the thyroid to decrease in it's function. Some may have to wait a long time to be regulated and others it seems to go fairly quickly.

I think I was a nightmare of all stories. I was very off in thyroid functions for years nad just a year ago finally started to get well again.

RAI is not immediate.

Your doctor wants to see you in 4-6 weeks to check your levels to see where you are at in your TSH to either start you on meds or to wait longer.

If I could look back to the days after my ablation I would change a world of things.

Make sure you get all your lab and paperwork - it IS important.

Follow the directions to all the RAI precautions - I was not discussed the things I should do except stay away from people for a couple of days.

Drinking water and sucking on lemon drops is critical.

Many here can give you more things to do.

Keep a journal of your symptoms if possible daily. You can then track your symptoms with your blood work to a degree. ( We have a daily thyroid tracker here) If you want to use it - just ask.

Keep a support group handy- Med Help was a God send to me - we all here know something and have a passion to share it.

I also have Graves and had RAI treatment on 10/15.   I have 2 sets of blood work since then and still am showing that I am Fine. Yeah Right!!!
I go on monday again for blodd work.  I have my fingers annnnd toes crossed that it will be at the point to start the meds.  I have ALL symptoms of hypo, water retention, can't sleep, 15 lb. weight gain, thin hair, dry and rash skin, etc etc.  I think when they take your blood, it must not show how hypo you are, but you do feel it!!!  I hate to scare anyone or discourage anyone, but if I could turn back time, the symtoms (symptoms) of Graves is alot tolerable and manageble than not having your thyroid.  Think twice about having the RAI.  See if meds can be continued longer.  I am on topral and wellbrutrin now, and should I say still/  I had palps, high blood pressure, major hand shakes, and anxiety, but to be honest, it was easier than what I have now....Please let me know if there is light at the end of this tunnel, should I look for a Dr. that will treat sympoms and not just the paperwork?????
Sorry this is so long but it has been hard.........