Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid/Adrenals and muscle trigger points

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I've been on Armour Thyroid and a little synthyroid for a while now and my muscle pain and trigger points have gotten much worse.  I can barely stand or walk by the end of the day.  My doctor just said I have fibromyalgia and gave me flexeril. What is the relationship of thyroid and or adrenals to muscle tightness and pain?  Thanks
This is odd that the addition of Arnmour with T3 makes you pain worse.

Adding T3 usually eases muscle pain for most people that were on a T4 only med.

Free T3 levels are correlated to muscle pain in thyroid conditions. Usually upper third (not even middle) of free T3 range is required to feel better.

How long have you been on this combination? What is 'a while'?
Do you have recent blood tests that you could post?  Those might include TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  If you could post those, along with the reference ranges for each. These ranges vary from lab to lab so must come from your own lab report.

I also have to wonder what "a while" is.  What dosage of Armour; and what dosage of synthroid?
I don't know, I developed muscle tightening on use and cramping and pain while on a T3 only (Cytomel) thyroid hormone replacement, and like the poster, it is so bad that I also have issues walking.  Switched back to Tirosint (T4 with no fillers) and still have the problem.  Fwiw, mucsle cramping IS a known hypo-thyroid symptom.  Despite lay people on the internet suggesting otherwise, adrenals have no bearing in thyroid conversion.  That said, many people who appear to have thyroid issues may really just have an issue with their hypothalmus or pituitary, both of which regulate adrenals...hence both being an issue.  That said, symptoms of adrenal issues is "low back pain" not all over pain.  All that said, oral hydrocortisone greatly improves my muscle tightening and cramping.  I too was dx'd with fibromyalgia.
When the thyroid fails, the adrenals will try to pick up the slack, which often leads to adrenal fatigue.  Adrenal issues should always be addressed before thyroid medication is given.

"Despite lay people on the internet suggesting otherwise, adrenals have no bearing in thyroid conversion."  Don't know what you mean by that.

Fibro is a set of unexplained symptoms, which often go away when thyroid treatment is adequate.

T3 only medication is rarely given by itself, except under certain conditions. It's usually prescribed along with a T4 medication.  If you're still having trouble with symptoms, on the Tirosint, it's probably because you're not on the proper dosage.

If you have recent thyroid blood test results, you can post them, here, with reference ranges, and members will try to assess your situation more fully.  If your thyroid levels aren't adequate your symptoms won't be alleviated.
I know this conversation is from very long ago, but if you see this, I am wondering where you got your info on T3 and muscle pain. My doctor has never heard of this, but I have seen a number of people post comments like yours. I wonder if this might be an issue for me and am having trouble finding info from a reliable site.

Thank You!