Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Cyst

I had a ct on chest due to shortness of breath and heart test that were good.  On ct they found a cyst on thyroid a little over 2.5 cm and a nodule on upper lung 5 x 6 mm  both on the right side. And shotty lymph nodes.  My neck seems to swell in the heat and I have started getting hoarse and pain in neck.  My internist said to have another ct in 2 months and another sonor in 3 months. My question is does this sound normal process? My Mother passed away 4 years ago from small cell lung cancer and her sister passed away from neck cancer. So I am scared.
I will not comment about the mass in the lung but thyroid cyst of this side can be aspirated to releive the symptoms. In case it refills, PEI may help to shrink it.
Thanks! What is PEI?
the contents of the cyst [blood or coplloid is aspirated, using syringe, then ethanol is injected into the cyst. Althoug the cyst may refill, it usually shrinks in few weeks.
http://thyroid.blogspot.com/2009/04/surgery-for-benign-thyroid-cystic.html#links
Thanks! I will look this up and talk to my doc.
Does my cyst as the doc called it sound like cancer to you since I can tell it is growing and on May 1st they said it was a little over 2.5 cm at that time?
Most cysts are benign; if such cyst contains solid components in it [called complex cyst] that should be investigated more. Most cysts are forming after the blood vessel ruptures inside the thyroid  or inside the small nodule.Next, the blood leaks into the thyroid forming blister; it can grow up. The cancerous nodules are solid in many cases; it is not unusual for the cyst to increase in size after palpation or even the ultrasound, I read about case where possible cyst palpation by 7 (!!) doctors caused massive bleeding.
The ultrasound should show the difference between solid nodule and the cyst
Thanks! That makes me feel better because it did start to grow and hurt after the ultrasound.  The only problem I was having was shortness of breath when they found cyst on  thyroid and spot on lung and shotty lymph nodes on ct.  The doctors office didn't say what was in the cyst just a cyst and wait 2 months on ct and 3 months on ultrasound.
Today I started having pain from my lymph nodes in my neck , throat and behind my knee. Could all of this be related to my cyst on my thyroid?
While neck pain can be related, I doubt about everything else
I got my us report and need your help on what it means.

The left thyroid lobe has normal size measuring 4.5x1.4x1.3 cm.  Small heterogeneous 7x5 mm upper lobe nodule.  Small 2 mm cyst also in the upper lobe.  The isthmus has normal thickness.

The right thyroid has normal size measuring 5.1x1.8x1.7 cm.  In the right lower pole, there is a well circumscribed predominately cystic lesion measuring 2.2x1.2x1.6 cm.  It contains interal septations.  There is a small amount of flow along one of the septations.

Impression-- Predominately cystic right thyroid lower pole lesion with internal septations.  A thyroid scan would likely show a photopenic nodule. Recommend followup us in 3 months to evaluate for stability.  Other small nodules are also present.

Also have small nodule in the right upper lobe 5x 6 mm in right lung and a few shotty mediastinal lymph nodes.

Does this mean I have cancer in thyroid and lung and lymph nodes.

The cyst is not cancerous, it just have few compartments  and most likely blood filled.
cannot be much helpful about the nodule in the lung.
The report does not say much about the lymph nodes; you may ask for biopsy of them as well as aspiration of the cyst.
Thanks so much!!!! That makes me feel much better!!!