Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid MRI Results back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid MRI Results back

I am a 40yo Male who went to have a MRI of the C Spine due to some cervical symptoms. The MRI reading
shows " Benign appearing 5 cm cystic legion in the left anterior neck likely a colloidal cyst arising from the Thyroid gland." What does this mean, do colloidal cyst have the ability to be cancerous? My doc has ordered an Ultrasound. Are there any questions that I can ask the Ultrasound tech to clue into if this has the potential of being cancerous?
A 5cm Cyst is pretty big and should be seen and felt from the outside of the neck. Colloidal means that the cyst has colloid within it,  which is a good thing. You should ask your doctor (not the tech)....what it means to have a 5cm cyst and can it be or become cancerous. If the ultrasound comes back abnormal, possibly due to the size, a fine needle biopsy may be in order to determine the cells that are within the cyst. Being that the MRI showed benign, it probably is....but be sure to followup.
Thanks for the advice...I have a followup on friday