Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Mass growth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Mass growth

I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago with a mass on my Thyroid.  At that time the ultrasound showed a 3 cm mass.  They did a fine needle biopsy a few days later and the result was inconclusive.  7 weeks after the first ultrasound I had another one which showed that the mass has grown or swollen to 4 cm.  The ENT Doctor that I am seeing says that the growth could be from bleeding from the fine needle biopsy or the mass is growing.  He suggested that I get a second opinion.  He is an older doctor, very nice but I get the impression that he lacks specific knowledge on Thyroid conditions.

Is there a Doctor who is monitoring this forum that could give me a suggestion?  Does what this doctor say make sense?  Obviously I am going to find another doctor who speciallizes in the Thyroid but in the mean time I am currious if this sounds like a cancer or not and if I should "hurry" to find a doctor who can definatively diagnose this and start treatment.

There is no doctor monitoring this forum - just us crusty-old thyroid patients.  :-)

Please find a good endocrinologist.  A 3cm mass is a large mass - so, of course, a 4cm mass is even more concerning.

What else does your ultrasound say?  Anything about "cystic",  "solid" or "complex"???  Anything about calcification?  How about vascular structures??

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
I believe that the doctor said that it was partially solid and partially vascular.  I was so emotional that I didn't remember much.  Yes I will find a doctor right after New Year.  Thanks for your response.
Partially solid and partially vascular (which sounds like a complex cyst with vascular involvement) is more worrisome for malignancy.  A solitary nodule is also more concerning.  Being a male and all also puts you at much higher risk.  So does being over 40 (okay, I know - you are just *barely* over).  Growing up where you did puts you at *huge* risk (see my off-line message to you).

Here's a web site that helped me understand what I was facing, maybe it will help you too:
http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

In addition to seeing an endocrinologist (one who specializes in thyroids - not just diabetes) you may want to start researching some good surgeons in your area - make sure that they have done *lots* of thyroid surgeries.

If you are ever thinking of visiting back here in Utah for thyroid treatment, let me know, I have a great surgeon and endo.  :-)  (yeah, I know, a LONG way to go for treatment)

Here is the Dr Lupo to patient thyroid forum link:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/120

In the meantime, the others have posted some great advice

Cheryl