Thyroid Mass growth
I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago with a mass on my Thyroid.  At that time the ultrasound showed a 3 cm mass.  They did a fine needle biopsy a few days later and the result was inconclusive.  7 weeks after the first ultrasound I had another one which showed that the mass has grown or swollen to 4 cm.  The ENT Doctor that I am seeing says that the growth could be from bleeding from the fine needle biopsy or the mass is growing.  He suggested that I get a second opinion.  He is an older doctor, very nice but I get the impression that he lacks specific knowledge on Thyroid conditions.

Is there a Doctor who is monitoring this forum that could give me a suggestion?  Does what this doctor say make sense?  Obviously I am going to find another doctor who speciallizes in the Thyroid but in the mean time I am currious if this sounds like a cancer or not and if I should "hurry" to find a doctor who can definatively diagnose this and start treatment.

There is no doctor monitoring this forum - just us crusty-old thyroid patients.  :-)

Please find a good endocrinologist.  A 3cm mass is a large mass - so, of course, a 4cm mass is even more concerning.

What else does your ultrasound say?  Anything about "cystic",  "solid" or "complex"???  Anything about calcification?  How about vascular structures??

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
I believe that the doctor said that it was partially solid and partially vascular.  I was so emotional that I didn't remember much.  Yes I will find a doctor right after New Year.  Thanks for your response.
Partially solid and partially vascular (which sounds like a complex cyst with vascular involvement) is more worrisome for malignancy.  A solitary nodule is also more concerning.  Being a male and all also puts you at much higher risk.  So does being over 40 (okay, I know - you are just *barely* over).  Growing up where you did puts you at *huge* risk (see my off-line message to you).

Here's a web site that helped me understand what I was facing, maybe it will help you too:
http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

In addition to seeing an endocrinologist (one who specializes in thyroids - not just diabetes) you may want to start researching some good surgeons in your area - make sure that they have done *lots* of thyroid surgeries.

If you are ever thinking of visiting back here in Utah for thyroid treatment, let me know, I have a great surgeon and endo.  :-)  (yeah, I know, a LONG way to go for treatment)

Here is the Dr Lupo to patient thyroid forum link:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/120

In the meantime, the others have posted some great advice

Cheryl