Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Medication and Bloating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Medication and Bloating

I have been having a HORRIBLE side effect of bloating and pain/pressure ever since I started thyroid medication. I have been on 7 different medications and am currently on .25 Levoxyl cut in half every day. My last TSH test said I was hypo.

Is anyone else having a really bloated and distended stomach to the point where you can't breathe and your clothes don't fit?

Has anyone gone through this but to have it all corret itself once the medication/dosage is correct?

Any comments would be apprectiated.

Not sure I've seen it on this community but doesn't mean it isn't a side effect.  Maybe try the name brand Synthroid and if that still is an issue discuss an alternate med ... that just doesn't seem like a fair side effect to have to endure to me .. hang in there,

cheryl
I'm currently taking 75mcg of Levothyroxine and I too have developed a distended belly to the point that I'm considering wearing maternity clothes.  
when I was taking the higher dosages of the medication,my clothes were loose and I did not have the swollen belly.  At night, I have a hard time breathing and swallowing and it feels as though I have eaten too much.  Also, I have symptoms of restless leg syndrome but the sensations are in my arms as well.  I just feel bloated all over (even though I'm taking a prescription diuretic for my blood pressure).  I don't sleep well at night and as a result, I have to sleep pretty much the entire next day.  This is absolutely miserable.  Is there anyone else out there who is experiencing these same symptoms?
i have put on weight since being hypo and  i look pregnant but i thought it was a thyroid symptom as you can have problems with water retention as well,  rather than a side effect of meds i am on a generic brand now and it made no difference i read in a post to take 200mg of magnesium a day but have just started so no difference yet i have no pain with it although i also get restless leg syndrome
I was on Synthroid for a long while and developed the same thing. I was not responding to the meds very well so I switched to Armour.

Armour made the bloating stop - along with taking magnesuim citrate.

After 6 years I am finally losing a few pounds here and there too.
I started taking synthroid and 2 weeks later, I had severe bloating to the point I was out of breath and in the ER, since I stopped the synthroid, it has improved.  
Thanks for replying.  I'm going to ask my doctor to switch me to the Armour.  Also, I will try the magnesium citrate for the bloating. I do have one question.  Since I do not have insurance and I am currently only paying $4 for my thyroid meds, is the Armour very expensive?  Is it difficult to find?  If it will help to alleviate my miserable symptoms, I'm sure it will be worth it.  One question about the magnesium citrate. Does it relieve all of the bloating where I can wear my clothes again?  I'm currently taking Gas X and it does not seem to be working.  I've also been exercising (doing crunches) and see no results.
I have also had trouble with swelling/bloating.  I know that the magnesium does help.  I also am drinking hot lemon water in the am and I think it also helps!!!  I also think the swelling and bloating have improved since I have been on armour.  I am also using sea salt to salt my food and that is also supposed to help!
Here is my tip of the week, pass it on.

www.****.com

No prescription, you can buy in bulk and it is the same exact stuff you get at the pharmacy.  Looks like they are selling out of Armour, but they still have some!

This is where I bought all my thyroid meds for years, even though I have good insurance.