Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Nodule and Crunchy sounds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Nodule and Crunchy sounds

I believe that I have a nodule on the lower left side of my Thyroid and have noticed that this entire region is kind of marble like and when I move this region of my neck side to side with my fingers I get a crunching sound.  I do have an appointment in a week with an ENT, but was hoping you could offer some advice or specific questions to ask.
thank you!
I personally have never heard of this, but will be interested in seeing what the ENT says. He will probably order an ultrasound.
Maybe you have a lot of calcification? Please let us know what the ENT says.
Can be ligament issue as most calcified nodules are hard and immobile.[I have same type of "noises" in my lower back}
I will let you know what I find out.  The nodule is not part of the section that moves - it is very hard and only moves up when I swallow, but not when I stick out my tongue (this is why I think it is Thyroid related)

The marble area that crunches seems more like Lymph nodes in the cervical/Jugular area around to the front where Thyroid is...

Doing my best not to get freaked out..
I have the same thing, don't know if it is connected, it is on the side where only 1 nodule is.  I have three nodules on the other side, and it doesn't make the crunching noise.  I have a pre-op appt and plan to ask the doc about it.  I am having the side with the three nodules taken out.  Good luck, and I will try to let you know if I find anything out.
I saw the doctor yesterday, he said the "crunchy" sounds were probably thyroid cartiledge rubbing against my vertibral column...he felt all around the noisy area and said it is nothing to worry about.  He also said that a ligament could be loose on that side, causing the sound only on that side.  Hope this helps...
Thanks for posting this.  I never mentioned it to my Dr, because it has gone away by the time I got in for an appt.  Now I know I'm not a nut case.  It only lasted a few days.
Now I also know that you should NEVER press on your thyroid.  Live n learn.
I had my appointment yesterday - they think that what I feel is my Thyroid cartilage, and some of what I feel as far as enlarged nodes are glands that get a little larger and hang lower as you get older (I'm 42 now).  They are sending me for a CT - appt is 4/11 then 4/21.  Will update after my appointment.  They too were not too concerned with the "crunchy" sound!