Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Nodule and Neck pain related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Nodule and Neck pain related?

Hello.  My Dr found a thyroid nodule in my left lobe about 8 months ago.  It was about 1.8 CM then.  The FNA was benign and he wanted to wait 6 months and check it again.  During the 6 months I started to have some severe neck pain in the back of my neck.  I thought it was something completely seperate, but I was wondering if perhaps the nodule could cause pain in the back area of my neck?  Is that possible or is it indeed a seprate issue?  I just got it checked again today and it did grow to 2.6cm.  

Any help would be great.  Thanks!
I've asked doctors this they really don't get this detail with possible varying symptoms.

Topic comes up here now and then. My personal experienced guess would be, yes.

1)An inflamed thyroid itself can be a source of localized pain in the front.

2)An inflamed thyroid with or without nodules can possibly spread the inflammation to surrounding muscles.

3)Then again, muscle pain itself can be a hypo symptom not relieved from possible inadequate thyroid meds. Other hypo symptoms at all?

So if its the back of your neck and not the front throat area, I would say you could get some relief from chiro or massage therapist.
Thanks for your input.

Yea They did an MRI of the back of my neck and found nothing and sent me to physical therapy.  it just never occured to me that it could be related until now.  I do have alot of the hypo symptoms but been tested twice and they say my thyroid is functioning normally.  
"I do have alot of the hypo symptoms but been tested twice and they say my thyroid is functioning normally"

***-what other hypos symptoms, many experienced here may know of  many causes, not just thyroid.****

- Always ask for copies of any lab testing that involves RANGES. Thyroid tests involve ranges and one of them was revised while some labs and docs go by the old one. Thus , many are hypo and dont know it. Seen it here. Normal is sometimes an opinion, if you feel ill, you have symptoms of something.
Im very cold all the time, like my husband will want the AC on because hes sweating but im freezing.  My limbs especially.  Im tired all the time.  My hair used to be very thick and nice, now its very brittle and basically falls out sometimes .  I have the absolute worst memory ever.  in fact my friends and family joke that i have the memory of a goldfish becuase i never remember anything even ifit happened the day before.  That to me is very scary. I havent had a normal period since i was about 19, and have mood swings alot.  And the muscle aches of coarse (the neck)  my voice right now is seriously hoarse and i have to clear my thoat alot.  sometimes its hard to talk becuase im so hoarse and ihave to like push out the words.
Also ill make sure to get copies of the lab reports.  I didnt know i could do that.  Thanks for that information.
What caused the nodule? Have you been tested for thyroid disease? Are you on thyroid hormone to shrink the nodule? I would like to know if you are on any thyroid hormone with all of your symptoms. Mood swings and nodules can be caused by Hashimoto's as our bodies swing from hyper to hypo. When the nodules leak hormone, we swing to hyper mode, causing:
anxiety
diarrhea
heart racing
shaky
sleep issues
weight loss

When the nodules stop leaking hormone and we swing back to hypo:
hair falls out
fatigue
weight gain
brain fog/memory loss
constipation
dry skin

Many more symptoms to list. Both hyper and hypo cause periods to fluctuate.

I would request the bloodwork TSH, FT3 and FT4 to determine your thyroid levels.
Then, I would request the TGab and TPOab to determine if you are a Hashi. If so, you really should be on thyroid hormone which can shrink the nodule and treat your symptoms.

BTW - Whenever my nodules leaked and I went hyper, I had this terrible pain in the back of my neck, like my neck was broken or my head weighed 100 pounds and it was hard to support it. I also had issues with low vitamin D and B12, as many of us Hashis do. I am on thyroid hormone now and my nodules have shrunk considerably. My hair loss stopped and my memory and focus has returned.

:) Tamra
Hi!  Thanks for your info!

My weight has fluctuated alot.  When i cameout of high school i weighed about 290 then dropped to about 130 in a year.  Then went up to 180 now im back down to 145.  So you can see the fluctuation there.  The pain in the neck i get is currently not here anymore, but when i get it its TERRIBLE i cant even sleep orlay my head down at all.  not even vicodin helps.  

I do have some sleep issues.  wehn i cant sleep i take a tylonol PM or something to help.  

I am not on any thyroid hormones becuase all the tests they did say its functioning normally. So all they have done so far is a FNA and it was begnin and waited six months i just did a new ultrasound today and see the thyroid surgeon monday for a follow up on the ultrasound.  Ill ask him about Hashimotos then.

Thanks again I diddnt know what Hashimotos was until you mentioned it.
"Thanks again I diddnt know what Hashimotos was until you mentioned it."

I guess we can never have to much details!

One thing you did not mention was trouble swallowing or breathing- common with inflamed thyroid and / or nodules.

I was going to ask what else might be in that report. I have never heard of nodules without something wrong with the thyroid.

With Hoshi antibodies (a disease) it is possible to show a little hypo on labs,  still in the range, but at end of the 'range'. So the the doc could say 'your in range, so all is well'. But with nodules also..........Hmmm...?
I see the thyroid surgeon in the AM to go over the new ultrasound, I will definatly make it a point to ask all these questions.  Thank you both very much for all your info and I will let you know what he says!
Now that i see you mention:   I have never heard of nodules without something wrong with the thyroid.    I always thought this as well, My neighbor has two noduals but they say her thyroid is fine, isn't it more suspicious something is wrong if you have noduals and no problems with the bloods?
I have to be neutral on this as I don't not know for sure, but it does seem odd. Hoshi can be a sleeping giant if  autoimmune antibody testing is not carried out. Who is to say the thyroid will always give wacky symptoms before nodules appear? There are most likely plenty of people with nodules and thyroid antibodies that dont show symptoms yet, weather  physical, or on the lab tsh / free T's.

This seems so strange because I also went to the doctor because of the pain in my neck and numbness of two fingers on left hand.  I had an MRI.  Just heard from the nurse that the doctor wants a sonogram because I have a nodule on my thyroid. I had been to two chiroprators thinking it was a pinched nerve.  Now I am asking the same thing as others.  Can a nodule on thyroid cause extreme pain in the neck.  I will be following this post.
Thank you for posting this Tamra.  I was just diagnosed with a nodule and have not seen endrocrinologist yet.  This sounds like me and I've never heard of it.  I was researching memory + nodule although I have like 20 symptoms of both hyper and hypo.  God Bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   LOL   Sally   ***@**** if you have any other info you can provide me.  Normally doc's don't do testing if I suggest it.  I think it is an ego thing.  Will look into Hashimoto.  THANK YOU