Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Nodule cause throat pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Nodule cause throat pain?

Hello Everyone.  I just learned I have a 3 cm nodule on my thyroid.  My thyroid Function tests were normal, but the nodule itself is solid and came up on the ultra sound as "ugly"? I do not know what this means.  Also they are going to to a Fine Needle Biopsy on it soon.  I was wondering, recently my throat has started to get very sore, when I swallow it hurts, particularly down where the nodule is.  Is this bad?  Should I let my doc know about it asap?  Or is it something unrelated.  Also, I have been having a rash on my arm for the last year or so and wonder if that is somehow related to this nodule.  Thanks in advance.  I have no idea whats going on lol.
Before my TT I had 5 growths which I didn't know about.  I didn't have a sore throat but I was very hoarse at times.  Because my throat wasn't sore I thought it was just a virus.  It is likely unrelated to your thyroid. Hopefully your FNA will tell you more. Good luck.
Trish
I would call your doctor.  A 3 cm nodule is big, if it is solid and not smooth, ie, ugly, and there is pain, those could be indications that it might be cancer.  Pain is not often associated with benign nodules.  I would try to push up the FNA biopsy, but if it is painful, maybe you should just get it taken out.  A biopsy takes less than an hour, the results come back in a week and then you can have better information.  Are you seeing a general practitioner or an ENT (ear nose throat)?  I would go directly to the ENT.  I had normal thyroid function tests except for TPOab, which indicated Hashi's, but I had three of my nodules removed...all were benign except the thyroid tissue was cancerous.  Mine were round, solid, vascular and the FNA result was "benign follicular clusters", but that result still couldn't tell them for sure if it was cancer or not.  Get it taken care of.
Avatar n tn
I was refered to a endocronologist (sp??) he couldnt see me till august.  So my PCP is contacting the local hospital at this time to get a intervention radiologist to do the biopsy.  My insurance is wonky so I can only go to a handful of specialists in my area.  I do not think they ran a TPOab test. I am going to write that one down and ask them about that, becuase I have many of the Hashi symptoms.  
Thanks for your answers.  Ill let you know how it goes.