Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Nodule,feeling like a lump in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I do have that feeling in my throat like there's this big lump. CT showed 1.0x1.4 cm nodule in right lower lobe with pole involvement. Saw the ENT who thought GERD also?? I've seen two PCPs, a Nurse Practitioner and the ENT. Went for US this week. That shows: Correlation made with nect CT dated 8/29/08. the right thyroid lobe measures 4.5x1.3x1.7cm. The left thyroid measures 4.0x1.4x1.2cm. The isthmus measures 0.3cm. The thyroid gland is normal in position and is homogenous in texture. 8 nodules are present within the right thyroid lobe. The largest measures 1.6x1.2x1.3cm, is located in the lower pole, is predominately solid with small cystic spaces, and corresponds to the nnodule identified on the CT.The 7 other nodules measure 7mm or less. 4x3x3 lumbar complex cystic nodule is present within the lower pole of the left thyroid lobe.
All I know is that I choke at night, feeling like I am unable to get a good breath. I lose my voice all day long, and feel like it's hard to swallow. I consider myself a "busy" person with 3 kids, different activities all the time, a FT job and a FT husband and house. Stressed? Maybe a little but I feel like I've got a good handle on that. Could this be serious? What would be the next step? An FNA? Thyroid disease does run in my extended family of cousins all my age, ranging from CA to Hyper/Hypo Thyroidism? Thanks for any help you can provide. Even just reassurance that this might be okay.
hello there, my name is kitt i am new to all this.
i do have nodules also. i have not been able to swollen very well also, and i feel like i have
something stuck in my troat too. sometimes i feel i can not breath.
i throught i share that with you.
i am seeking another opinion.
hope u fell better.
kitt
Thre is an excellent site on the Heatlh Pages which talks all about ultrasound guided FNA .. biopsy .. I had one 2yrs ago as well as many on the community ....

WELCOME to the community; so sorry you are going thru this right now ... just awful

C~
I also have GERD due to a hiatus hernia as well as a multinodular goiter and am being scheduled for surgery.

I do know that Esophageal Reflux is worse at night and can cause acid reflux up into the esophagus, especially, while laying flat in bed.  It can also cause shortness of breath, coughing and pain.  Oftentimes, we actually inhale refluxed acid from our stomachs which can cause that choking sensation.  The reflux of acid can also cause inflammation to the esophagus, ulcerations as well as scarring which can narrow the passages in both the esophagus as well as irritate bronchial passages.  It can also cause an irritation of the vocal chords through inhalation of the acid.

Can I say that this is the cause and not your thyroid?  No.  It may be either or both together.  But, I can say that if you're not already taking measures to control your acid reflux like raising the head of your bed on books or wood by 4 to 6", not eating for 2 to 3 hours before bed, watching foods that may worsen your reflux and things like caffeine, alcohol and smoking, chocolate, acidic foods, fatty/spicy foods, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits/juices, and staying upright for at least an hour after eating or taking meds, taking any meds with food (unless otherwise instructed) and all of those lovely things, you could try doing that and see if anything gets better.  Are you on any meds for reflux currently?  That may also help tremendously.  If these measures don't change anything, I'd consider that it is likely your thyroid and talk more about it with your doc.