Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Nodule

I went to my doctor for an apt three weeks ago for fatigue.  He found a lump and sent me that day for an ultrasound.  The radiologist said I had several nodules and one very large one  that needed a biopsy.  My doctor called the next day and told me it was important to see an ENT.  It took two weeks to get in.  While I was there the ENT told me there was not much chance that it could come back abnormal or cancer.  He acted like I was a hypochondriac.  When he was asking for my symptoms I informed him there were no symptoms other then fatigue and the doctor found it.  He told me there was no way my thyroid was causing the fatigue because my levels were only slightly elevated.  I told him my doctor was very concerned and actually called me twice.  He said the doctor was being cautious and it was not a big deal.    I asked him what the size of the large nodule and he said 2.4cm.   So Tuesday I had the FNB.  They only biopsied the large nodule and none of the other nodules.  They took three samples.  The radiologist asked the pathologist if they needed another sample and she said it wouldn't change the outcome.  So the radiologist looked at me and said it looked good and sent me home.  Now I wait until August 10th for the results.  I feel like they think I am crazy.  I didn't ask for this my primary doctor.  Just frustrated.  : (  My question is was this overreacting on the part of my primary doctor?  Why does the ENT act like I'm overreacting?
No, your doctor wasn't overreacting.  Any nodule over 1 cm is usually biopsied.  Without an FNA, there's no way the ENT could tell for sure if the nodule was benign or not.  However, he probably did get some very good clues from the U/S.

What other thyroid test did you have?  If you have FT3, FT4 and TSH, please post with reference ranges (they vary lab to lab).  Many times doctors use obsolete reference ranges or test inadequately, and say things like "there's no way your thyroid could be causing the fatigue".  We'll help you interpret them, if you post them.
He said my "levels were elevated".  That is all he told me about the blood test. I was to afraid to ask anything.   He rushed through the visit.  I waited a total of two hours there.  : (
You should call your doctor (perhaps the first one who found your nodule?) and find out which thyroid tests they ran and what the results were.  Often, they only run TSH, and that's subject to range problems as I mentioned above.  If you have nodules, it could indicate that you have Hashi's (most of us with Hashi's have nodules).  If you find out what's already been done, we can make suggestions on where to go from here.

I'm sorry the ENT was such a jerk.  However, if you do have a thyroid disorder, he wouldn't be the one to treat you anyway.  ENTs only do surgery and biopsies, then you have to find a doctor to manage ongoing care.