Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Removal

Dear Dr.

My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with thyroid papillary cancer Feb 1 2008. On Feb 14, the right side containing
the nodule was removed, and the in-house pathology  on the thyroid tissue was thought to be non-cancerous Hashimoto.  Further tissue was sent to Mayo and was diagnosed as follicular cancer.  The left remaining portion of the thyroid was removed March 19, 2008.  Surgery went well but 2 days after surgery, she experienced tingling in hands and face.  She spent two more days in the hospital while they stabilized her calcium levels (initially below6.0)

What is your initial reaction to our scenario?  If the tissue comes back as cancerous, is radioiodine therapy a given?
She needs to see an oncologist as well as endocrinologist. Will keep you posted on her recommended therapy.
RA
I'm sorry, but if you want an answer from the dr you'll have to ask your question in that forum.  Click 'Forums' buttom above and scroll down on the right side to Thyroid.

I can tell you what my initial reaction is - your daughter must be a pretty strong young woman to get through all that!

I hope her calcium levels continue to be stabilized and return to normal levels.

Perhaps others here will give you feedback and recommendations.
I am currently in isolation as I type this to you due to a papillary carcinoma.  My cancer was totally encapsulated and there was no vascular invasion or spread to any lymph nodes.  I went to the oncologist and he said he would definetly recommend the RAI treatment because even though the whole thyroid was removed they cannot remove every piece of tissue due to nerves being damaged.  Since there is still some tissue remaining there is always a chance the tissue could be harboring cancer cells.  If she does the RAI it will kill any remaining tissue she has left and therefore it can't come back.  She will have to do a whole body scan to make sure there was no spread but from what I gather this cannot tell you whether it's cancer.  The best option is to just do the RAI.  Trust me I didn't want to do it either.  I went in there to do the scan knowing I wasn't going to take the treatment.  I was going to wait 6 months and see what happened.  The only problems with waiting is that the scan is still going to be abnormal and I still would not know whether it was cancer or not.  I went ahead and did it, so now when I go back in 6 months to do the scan again if it is still abnormal then I will know there has been a recurrance.  I hope I havent confused you.  This was all a very emotional thing for me and now I am ready to just get on with my life.