Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Size

The report from the radiologist from my ultrasound states that my thyroid size is:

Right Lobe: 54 x 18 x 20mm
Left Lobe: 47 x 25 x 70mm

Is that a normal size?
I would also like to know whether radiologists have a specific convention when it comes to the dimensions? Is it height first, width etc?
From "Ultrasonography of the Thyroid" by Manfred ****, M.D.Professor of Medicine and Radiology, Director Thyroid Unit, New York University School of Medicine....

"Each lobe has a smooth globular-shaped contour and is no more than 3 – 4 centimeters in height, 1 – 1.5 cm in width, and 1 centimeter in depth. The isthmus is identified, anterior to the trachea as a uniform structure that is approximately 0.5 cm in height and 2 – 3 mm in depth. Measurement are the height, width, depth of each lobe."

You have an enlarged thyroid gland otherwise known as a goiter.
Measurements are the height, width, depth of each lobe - that is not a quote from the good doc. Oops! :) I was supposed to delete my sentence after i found the doc's quote.  An edit button would be nice. :)
Well mine isn't that big (at least it doesn't show), but my GP did not seem to raise any eyebrow at the size, and until he received the faxed in pathology report (as they failed to send it in electronically) about my antibodies he seemed indifferent to what the radiologist report said.

I find it odd the way doctors seem to operate, instead of treating something right at the start when the issue isn't as massive as it will potentially become, instead they wait for it to happen!

It ia like an engineer not being concerned with cracks in a dam wall which he or she knows will fail in 5 years time without remedy lol.