Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Symptoms - No Diagnosis - ENT next step?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have posted before and am coming back with an update and request for advise.  My symptoms have continued and the fatigue has worsened to a point where it takes absolutely everything in me to get through the day.  I do still get in my workouts 4 times a week purely because I am determined to not let whatever this is turn be into a bed bug.  My primary care suggested I see a new OB/Gyn who ordered new blood work and a thyroid ultrasound.  I just got the results and am a bit confused.  My antibody test was negative, my TSH was 2.22, and the ultrasound showed slight enlargement and a 3mm nodule.  There recommendation was to refer me to an ENT?   I thought they would send me to an endo.  Any thoughts?  
I wish I could have some enlightening words for you, but unfortunately, I do not.  I have (in order of appointments had) an ENDO, ENT and a GP that have done absolutely nothing in my mind.  I have a call in to the ENDO and am awaiting his call today because my goiter (thyroid enlargement) swells with exertion.  I had all normal blood and the US showed enlargement with no nodules.  In others' thyroid troubles, which are all more pronounced than mine, an ENDO or an ENT helped, I think it really depends on the doctor and his compassion for a person dealing with physical turmoil with the thyroid.  ENT's I think as a whole, are great for this sort of thing because their area deals with not only the surgery of the thyroid should you need it, they also deal with other reasons the neck would swell and would be more apt to check for any enlarged lymph nodes, etc. My suggestion would be to do some digging into whether there is an ENDO in your area and keep any appointment with the ENT as well. Sometimes, an ENT will refer to an ENDO should you need it, which would probably happen for you since there is a nodule. I feel it is great to have more than one medical person checking it out (I guess that is evidenced by my 3 doctor visits - of which, I still have no answers).  Best of luck to you and just stay on it - don't let them tell you what you are going to do, you tell them what you want done!  (I am going to try that now and see where it gets me!)  Sending you well wishes! ~K
First, let me say good luck as you start down this nodule-lined road.

I was referred to an ENT when mine was discovered. He has been very helpful. Performed my partial thyroidectomy (3/08) & is handling my post-op work right now. Before I decided to stay with him, though, I asked about his experience with thyroid patients. That makes a huge difference from what I've been able to tell. In the case of my doc, he has family members who have had thyroid issues, so he was sympathetic to the patient's concerns, complaints, etc. Plus, he's done enough of the surgeries with a really low rate of complications that I felt very comfortable with him.

Also, he said some areas of the country handle these issues through an endo while others seem to go with ENTs. It's more of a geographic thing.

- viv