Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Test Results -Low/Normal TSH and Low/Normal FT4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi - hoping someone may have some input on my thyroid issues.  Just recently had my thyroid blood results again.  I am taking 15mcg Armour Thyroid (1/4 grain)  

Results  TSH 1.08 (.35-4.94)
              FT4 .86 (.70-1.48)

Problem - i still am tired, losing lots of hair (when i shower i get handfulls), bloated, fatigued, no sex drive.....

When i first started on Armour i felt better - sex drive back too!  Now it seems to have leveled off - my dr just thinks i am depressed.  I am not.  I am a runner - run about 20 miles a week.  I am not a large person, but i really have to struggle to maintain my weight....not like a normal person considering all of my exercise and lifestyle.  

Anyway, are these numbers ok - does it seem odd that my FT4 is still in the low normal range and my TSH is too?  

Initial results were:
May 26, 2009
TSH 1.92 and FT4 .65 (low)

Three months later: 17 August 09

TSH 1.47 and FT4 .89

Three months later: 21 October 2009

TSH 1.08 and FT4 .86
Sounds like from your symptoms you are still hypo and need more meds.  When you are taking thyroid med frequently the TSH will have to be suppressed to the low end of the range, or even below in order to alleviate symptoms.  Keep in mind that it shoud all be about symptoms, not TSH.
TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many variables, including the time of day when blood is drawn.  TSH is inadequate as a diagnostic by which to regulate meds. At best it is an indicator to be considered along with the more important indicators which are syptoms (symptoms) and the levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, which are free T3 and free T4 (FT3 and FT4).  FT3 is actually four times as potent as FT4 and FT3 correlates best with hypo symptoms.  

From the low level of your FT4 I'm not surprised that you have hypo symptoms.  You also need to insist that they check your FT3 level as well.  With that info in hand, then you will need for your doctor to continually check and adjust your FT3 and FT4 levels with meds, as required to alleviate symptoms, without worrying about TSH.  Frequently this requires getting FT3 and FT4 into the upper part of their very broad ranges.  If your doctor has a problem with this approach, then you may as well start looking for a good thyroid that will treat your symptoms this way.

I think you will benefit from reading this article.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
have your vit D and cortisol checked too!  
Well, i went to the Dr today and he said i have NO thyroid problem.  Never did..... frustrating.  He said the most important result is the TSH its the most sensitive - and that seems very contradictory to anything i have read.  My TSH has always been ok - but my FT4 was low at first.  .65  Now it is up to .8 (normal range is .7)  Am i just crazy?  I posted my results ealier - now i am frustrated and confused and the Dr made me feel like a hypochondriac....(sp?!)  
Did you try and discuss with him the info I posted above, including the importance of also testing for FT3 and treating a patient for symptoms by adjusting the FT3 and FT4 levels to alleviate symptoms?  I can even give you a lengthy post as to why a FT4 level just within the low end of the range is frequently inadequate to relieve symptoms.  Also, did you ask about the vit D and Cortisol that jjjohnson suggested?

But at this point I don't have much hope for that doctor.  Even if you go back and discuss all this and put on a little pressure, very few will ever consider that they were possibly wrong and reconsider their treatment, so I think you should start looking for a good thyroid doctor that will treat your symptoms by adjusting FT3 and FT4 levels.
I AM 31 and have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. my ft4 level is 30 and my ft3 is 17, (I have no idea what this is is what I have been told) if anyone can give any advice I would appreciate it I am little down about all of this.
It might be best if you go to the top of the page and "Post a question".  If you do that, you can write a title that is more pertinent to your question that will attract answers from people knowledgable with your thyroid disorder.  Also, when you post your results, please post the reference ranges from your lab report as well.  These ranges are lab specific and have to come from your own lab report.