Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Treatment

Just a few lines to say that my TSH is 0.67 and I am taking Levothyrohine 100 mcg.May I add cytomel or anything else to get rid of the usual
underactive thyroid symptoms incl.bad cholestrol and hypertension, weight pbs.I used to be 65 kg and after 4 yrs I'm 76 kg.
Pls let me know if I can use appetite depressants.
Have you been tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free t3 and free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  If so, please post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  If not, then you should make sure to get those done every time you go for new tests.  From those test results and a list of your symptoms, members can suggest whether increasing meds is indicated.

Weight gain can be related to a number of different causes, including of course low metabolism due to low thyroid levels.  If your thyroid levels (mainly Free T3), are too low, then that is what should be addressed first.  You need to identify and address the cause(s) instead of considering appetite depressants.

Many thanks for your advise.I did go to my GP who suggested Adcal-D3 to be added to Levothyroxine,but to alternate the dose-one day 100mcg and the next 75mcg.Adcal-D3 has 1500mg Calcium Carb.+ D3-400 I.U.I did take them for a week and noticed my imrov.-aches in the joints stopped.However I reduced the dose and take it twice a week to come off completely.
Also I am going to have a blood test: TFT on T4 replacement,B12/Ferum Foliate.Already I do take B12 inject.-1 every 3 months.
I wonder if TFT on replacement T4 includes Free T3 and T4 test,if not i'll go to the surgery again. Any thoughts?
When you said surgery, that made me wonder if you are located in the UK?  If so, I doubt that Free T3 is included.  You may have to push the doctor hard to get that done.
Many thanks.Yes,I do live in UK. Also I have noticed that thyroid problems are not taken seriously as the other problems like hypertension and cancer.
It's very difficalt to get an appointment with a specialist.
Are you located anywhere near London?  The reason I ask is that I have collected for over 4 years, names of member recommended doctors.  I even have a few for the UK.  If you will give us your location, perhaps we can give you a suggestion, even though it may be a private doctor.  
Thanks.Yes I work in London.I would be interested to know the names of a few  endocrinologists,because it's frustrating to deal with thyroid problems for the last 10 years.
Well now, I never promised Endocrinologists, LOL just doctors recommended by fellow members.  Many Endos specialize in diabetes, not thyroid.  Also,  many of them have the "Immaculate TSH Belief' or only want to go by "reference Range Endocrinology", neither of which works well.  

Sending a PM with info for your consideration.
Great.Thanks.I'll be happy to get a few names