Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Ultrasound Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Ultrasound Results

Hi...thank you for taking the time to review my question. I had a thyroid ultrasound, and have an appt to see an endocrinologist, but not for 4 months.  If someone could help me understand these results, and their possible implications I would appreciate it.

The right lobe measures 4.7x1.7x1.6cm.  The right lobe is inhomogeneous. Within the lower pole is a heterogeneous mass measuring 4.1x 3.4 x 2.0 cm.

Within the isthmus is a hypoechoic nodule measuring 9mm.

The left lobe is 4.5 x 1.4 x 1.4 cm. the left lobe is inhomogeneous. there are small scattered hypoechoic nodules, the largest in teh upper pole mearuing 3.2 cm

Impression: Inhomogeneous exhotexture to the thyroid gland with multiple nodules.

I have had a significant amount of pain that is intermittent, and radiates to my jaw and ear. A persistent dry cough with intermittent hoarseness.

Again...thank you for your time!!

Donna
Donna, Why four months? Is this an insurance issue? If so, you NEED to be lighting fires under someone's butt!

You have many nodules, and one is fairly large. You have pain. You should be seen sooner. Usually, people with solitary nodules should worry more about cancer, but you have multi nodules. Most nodules are benign, and thyroid cancer has a VERY high cure rate. However, many doctors recommend surgery if the nodules are too big to biopsy. I am hoping others would chime in here, but I am thinking 3.2 cm is too big to do an adequate biopsy and should be removed.

Are you taking any thyroid hormone?

Do you have any blood results, such as TSH, FT3, FT4?

Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's with an antibody test? I ask this because Hashi causes many nodules and goiter.

Do you have any other issues besides neck pain, like dry skin, hair loss, constipation, diarrhea, anxiety, depression, weight issues,GERD, heartburn, chest pain?

Take care...
:) Tamra
Hi Tamra...thank you for responding.  4 Months is when they could "get me in", but they put me on the "cancel list". I will be calling frequently, and I have already started to search for another endocrinologist.

I do have a mild cast of GERD, but nothing else that you mentioned.

Thank you so much for your input!! I appreciate it very much....

Donna
that's what happen with me when i made an appointment for an endo.  it took me about 4 months too!  and i made appointments with 2 different doctors, both were booked for months.  i would check back every week or so, i got in about a week earlier than i was scheduled.  not much earlier, but if you check back regularly, you may get in faster.
One think that confuses me about this report is the measurements of the nodules / mass compared to the actual size of the thyroid. It seems off...  Anyone have any ideas?